Focus-Recompose -- WTF

2»

Comments

• Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Even with 50/1.4 or 135/2.0 wide open I find focus/recompose quite doable. It's much quicker for me than selecting another focal point. I'm usually aiming to get the eye in focus, the trick is in your stance and simply rotating the camera slightly without moving it forwards/backwards.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    Even with 50/1.4 or 135/2.0 wide open I find focus/recompose quite doable. It's much quicker for me than selecting another focal point. I'm usually aiming to get the eye in focus, the trick is in your stance and simply rotating the camera slightly without moving it forwards/backwards.

I tried that and was still rubbish at it :giggle I find it much easier - and more reliable - to switch AF points, especially with the choices the 7d gives me. Classic example of finding what works and sticking with it!! Potayto, potahto and all that thumb.gif

I'm coming to the conclusion I'm just a really bad hand-holder; I'm not good at very low shutter speeds, either rolleyes1.gif I'd rather overshoot and cull than use a tripod for portrait shoots, though - I find it very limiting not to be able to move around and re-frame on the fly.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    But a 35mm at five feet would make for one really special portrait :D.

rolleyes1.gif
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Family portrait :D
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Here is an example of the kind of image that is hard to focus. I had perhaps 4 inches worth of usable DoF, but the parallax for focus and recompose is considerably more than that.
    35mm @ f/1.8 1/60s ISO 1000 Canon 5D mk1
    118413041_rQ2xd-L.jpg