Should I sell my AE1?

Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
edited April 20, 2011 in Cameras
I have an AE1 chrome with two canon 50 1.8 lenses and the 70-210m and I never use it. Lately I could use the extra cash and someone offered me 100 bucks for it.

The camera is mint but I never use it. Should I sell? Is it worth more than 100 bucks?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 20, 2011
    Do some research at KEH and in the used sections of Adorama and B&H. Private sales generally go for about 60-70% of those site's selling prices.

I personally think that $100 is a little low for that camera and 3 lenses. If you're not using equipment then it's probably wise to sell it.

You might also consider donating the camera and lenses to a local school or church. While there's no money in it, it can be very satisfying to donate to a good organization and it might help other people.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 20, 2011
    I traded my AE-1 for a Nikon D40x a few years ago and the local camera store gave me $125 for the body with a 50 f/1.4 FD lens. I could have sold it for more on ebay or craigs list but it wasn't worth the bother of shipping and wondering if the check is any good etc.
    Dealing with Adorama Camera is a safe place to trade or sell your equipment. They will give you 70% of what the market is on your camera...sometimes they just don't want your stuff and will tell you so up front.