Options

Too Much HDR?

ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited April 22, 2011 in Finishing School
Hey, guys. I have been doing quite a bit of real estate photography and wanted to know what you think of the HDR processing. My clients are typically "amazed" but I wanted to get some more "qualified" opinions. Do you think the HDR processing is too heavy? This is about the level I usually do them at. I think they are decent but still might be too "surreal". I want them to look good and to "pop" off the MLS list but I don't want them looking way out there.

nik3798.jpg

nik3810.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 21, 2011
    I moved this to Finishing School, since I think your question is really about processing.

It looks to me like you have used HDR to good advantage in capturing detail, which is important in architectural photography, However, IMO, these pics do not pop at all. You've got lots of local contrast but a very limited overall dynamic range. I'd try adding a luminosity curve, lowering the white point considerably and deepening the shadows a bit.
  • Options
    talniniotalninio Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2011
    Details are great but the image is "flat"...
    I agree that you should try to enhance local-contrast.
    It will do good to these photos.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    i see nothing that even really whispers hdr...I agree with Talnino that more local contrast is needed....but if clients are happy, then that is fantastically great.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    I think they are perfect for the given purpose. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Based on my calibrated Lacie Blue 22 IV monitor both are too dark and flat.
    Specifically I set the white and black point on your second image and added some contrast.

That along with your excellent HDR work really made that image shine!

I can see why your clients would be wowed.

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 21, 2011
    Nice sharpness, but your whites are merely grey.

I suspect the garage doors and finial poles are white, but they actually merely measure as grey. The mailbox is probably black, but it might be even darker for more pop in the image as well. There are no whites in the clouds either. Sam and Richard and I are all noticing the same things I believe.

Use a curve to get the garage doors white and the mailbox black, and the whole image will pop.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Nice sharpness, but your whites are merely grey.

I suspect the garage doors and finial poles are white, but they actually merely measure as grey. The mailbox is probably black, but it might be even darker for more pop in the image as well. There are no whites in the clouds either. Sam and Richard and I are all noticing the same things I believe.

Use a curve to get the garage doors white and the mailbox black, and the whole image will pop.

We be saying the same thing differently. :D

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 21, 2011
    Great minds, Sam, great minds...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    Thanks, all. I don't have a calibrated monitor but the whites and black look fairly decent on my screen. I do usually run my images through Lightroom and probably would have bumped the blacks by 1 or 2 which would have helped some the issues you guys see. My Lightroom is currently filled with 6500 (out of 10,000 total) images that I am working on from an event so I didn't want to do an import and possibly risk messing things up. Also, I usually do about 20-30 images per property for a fairly good price.... and with HDR processing as a free upgrade. I try to get them as best as I can... as quickly as I can without spending too much time getting them absolutely "perfect". When I say "pop".... it's a relative term and I think you have all seen most of the realtor's images on the MLS list. Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gifI think mine DO pop in comparison. Anyway, thanks for the critique's. I think all the suggestions would help these images. I just have to find the line between speed and perfection and was mainly just concerned with "too much hdr". There's a huge difference between satisfying you guys.... and the agent clients of mine. Anyway, thanks again. Feel free to edit these images and post what you would have done. I'll post my Lightroom edited versions as soon as I get a chance. Those will be the final images sent out and better for a overall critique from you guys.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    Here is my quick edit. I set the white and black point. Added some contrast, and bumped the vibrancy a little. I left the warm tones of the image. Note: the second one could take even a little more brightness.

This took seconds.

See how this looks on your monitor. Get some input from people using different monitors. I am just talking about the overall brightness and pop.

Sam

1261391754_5Q2mTfJ-L.jpg

1261391767_3kCTk77-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    Looks pretty good... thanks. The first one may be a tad brighter than I would have gone but then again I have the monitor issue. I probably would have brought a little more blue back in the sky on the first one.... comparing it to the second one. I love nice and blue skies though.

I think my gamma was turned down slightly when I processed them and I could have lost a little brightness from that. I'll have to post my final images whenever I clear Lightroom from the other project to see where I would have ended up on the final image. I ALWAYS run them through LR after I process the HDR. Wasn't able to this time and I really just wanted to make sure I wasn't going too heavy with the HDR. I feel I'm past the HDR overkill stage. It was fun while it lasted though! :D
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Here is my quick edit. I set the white and black point. Added some contrast, and bumped the vibrancy a little. I left the warm tones of the image. Note: the second one could take even a little more brightness.

This took seconds.

See how this looks on your monitor. Get some input from people using different monitors. I am just talking about the overall brightness and pop.

Sam

1261391754_5Q2mTfJ-L.jpg

1261391767_3kCTk77-L.jpg

It looks good for HDR. And I hate most HDR photos that I've seen. I guess just desat the greens a bit so it doesn't look too radioactive.