Wolf Spider and Ant Lunch

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited April 27, 2011 in Holy Macro
Another Wolf Spider. It stopped for oooh, about 2 seconds.

1260562989_bGcm3sc-O-1.jpg

This one was an opportunist shot. Happened to notice 3 ants pulling something else about. Looks like a small earwig or centipede of some sort. They were intent on dragging this to some place safe so didn't stick around very long at all. Focus missed on the Ants eyes unfortunately.

1260561080_jfzJdHB-O.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Cheers Brian :)
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Very nice captures. Love the spider...well caught for a split second shot. :)
    edited April 22, 2011
    Thank you. :) It's something I'm beginning to learn more. Have noticed that these wolfy's tend to dart about VERY quickly and they jump too. They'll stop for a very brief moment before darting off again. What I have found though is that they're bold little beasts. Give 'em a moment or two and they'll head back over to where they were.

One thing I noticed a couple of days ago was that it seemed to be mating day. All the males were drumming like crazy on the ground and waving with one of their palps :D. Believe it or not, I'm a bit arachnaphobic. I don't mind photographing them but I can't stand the thought of one on me, I used to despise spiders immensly but seeing these guys waving and drumming on the ground is brilliant :)
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    IPClark wrote: »
    Believe it or not, I'm a bit arachnaphobic. I don't mind photographing them but I can't stand the thought of one on me, I used to despise spiders immensly

Me too...:)
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Nice shots, great ant action shot :)
    edited April 24, 2011
    Thank you DeVil :)
  • FMarekFMarek Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    For me ants are one of the most difficult subjects to "hunt". I always feel exhausted chasing them having wide f settings on the lens :))
    Casual shooter...