First post here, I think...C&C please

TomorrowsTreasuresSTLTomorrowsTreasuresSTL Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited April 22, 2011 in People
1158481371_wbmfv-M-1.jpg

I focused on her eyes, then re-composed my shot. I shoot a Canon 40D, and this was with a 28-135 lens. I was so excited to have a spiral staircase to work with, and I really like this shot. However, I don't think it's sharp. I don't think any of my shots are as sharp as what I see others post. Any comments and critiques would be appreciated!
Thank you,

Heather Rhoads
Tomorrow's Treasures
http://www.tomorrowstreasuresstl.com

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Welcome! :) What a pretty bride!
    It is really hard to tell if a photo is sharp or not at that size. If you want us to be able to tell if it is or not, you'll need to repost it bigger.
    The focus recompose method does work at some apertures, but it does have issues wide open... choosing the focal point over the eye is a much more reliable method. You should read your manual on how to accomplish that.

As to the composition, circular staircases are cool, but it doesn't really show with this tight crop. Feel free to get some close, and then take a step back and really showcase it so it adds to the photo... At this crop it just seems like clutter in the background, and not really an element that brings a coolness factor into it. Before you click the shutter, make your eyes look around the four corners of the frame and be sure that it includes all elements you want, and keeps out all that you don't. I wouldn't have known it was a circular staircase unless you said so.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Heather has given you excellent crit and tips!

From what I can see the sharpness on the eye area is ok. What I wonder a bit about is the DOF, more specifically the plane of the DOF. When the sensor plane is not parallel to the subject plane the DOF plane will also be skewed. So here the DOF includes the top of her head but not her mouth.

I think your POV is too vertical and the result is not totally flattering (squished eyes and a too "glamourous" view down the cleavage), and that if you step back and down a step or two you would get a much more pleasing view of the face, a better DOF plane, and as Heather has said, the charm of the staircase.

The lighting and colour are very well achieved (typical warm wedding style). I think I would add a little contrast with usm.

On the whole a pleasing shot... with a little room for improvement imo.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • TomorrowsTreasuresSTLTomorrowsTreasuresSTL Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Thank you both very much, Heather and Neil. I have another photo that is pulled back further. It doesn't do much to change the DOF plane, but it does change the composition a bit.

1261267475_5LRCRqn-XL.jpg

Thanks again! Oh, and after I posted this, I realized that this probably should've been in the weddings forum, but I shoot families and newborns, too.
    Thank you,

Heather Rhoads
    Tomorrow's Treasures
    http://www.tomorrowstreasuresstl.com
  • kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Thank you both very much, Heather and Neil. I have another photo that is pulled back further. It doesn't do much to change the DOF plane, but it does change the composition a bit.

1261267475_5LRCRqn-XL.jpg

Thanks again! Oh, and after I posted this, I realized that this probably should've been in the weddings forum, but I shoot families and newborns, too.

This composition is better, but you need to get your flash off the camera. The hotspot it creates on the wood is distracting.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    I like the bigger shot.
    Crop 20 percent off the bottom and a sliver off the top and that is a winner.
    It is sharp enough.
    Use your clone tool to darken the bright spots on the steps a bit if you want to go that far with it.