at the river

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 4, 2005 in People
took my son down to the banks of the hudson this afternoon.

canon 5d, 24-105 @24mm on board. click pic for exif.

compositionally, i think this suffers from the pole, but i sort of like this flare, and yes, if you've not experienced this, flare like this when shooting at the sun is normal (the hood was on... taken from a moving dock... yeah i could straighten the horizon but nah..
38243681-L.jpg

canon 5d, 24-105 @80mm on board. click pic for exif. (was on iso 800 for fast shutter speeds at this playground). set for +2/3s ec to compensate for the extreme backlighting.

38243611-L.jpg

both are from out of the camera jpgs, cropped only.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    Interesting flare!
    Never saw anything like that before..

Goot captures! It looks like this 5D works wel for ya:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MoonshotMoonshot Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2005
    That is serious equipment you are using. Do you find The IS to be valuable. Do you have any experience with the Canon 17-85IS? I am debating getting the Sony R1 or the Canon 350XT. but if I opt for the Canon it will be pretty much a one lens solution for me. Being semi retired I can't see myself investing much more than this.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    Andy. Do you have a contract with Canon to promote the 5D? Your photos inspire eqipment lust like I have never experienced before. iloveyou.gif Your son is adorable, btw. thumb.gif

Va

Email
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    "Hard task " photos, but you did them well!
    Congrats!
    I like the second - very impressive !
    Yuri
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2005
    Moonshot wrote:
    That is serious equipment you are using. Do you find The IS to be valuable. Do you have any experience with the Canon 17-85IS? I am debating getting the Sony R1 or the Canon 350XT. but if I opt for the Canon it will be pretty much a one lens solution for me. Being semi retired I can't see myself investing much more than this.

i think that i.s. in this sort of lens is hugely valuable, and makes it that much more versatile. combine the i.s. with the great high iso performance of the canon cameras, and you have a low-light champion :D

it's a great lens, see my other thoughts on it in the cameras forum.
    edited October 4, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Andy. Do you have a contract with Canon to promote the 5D? Your photos inspire eqipment lust like I have never experienced before. iloveyou.gif Your son is adorable, btw. thumb.gif

Va

thanks fg :D

i wish it were so, that canon sends me gear without me having to lighten my wallet, but alas, i have to pay just like everyone :D i have no contract with canon, or anyone who's gear i use and report on. i try to tell it like it is - straight up.

i'll tell trev yer sweet on him lol3.gif thanks for stopping by!
    edited October 4, 2005
    "Hard task " photos, but you did them well!
    Congrats!
    I like the second - very impressive !
    Yuri

spasibo, yuri!