Paris - La Defense II

Carmelo75Carmelo75 Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited April 28, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Another shot of "La Defense" in Paris... the sun was just at the right place to give some more light to the image!

Again any C&C and suggestion to improve the image is welcome!

Andrea.

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Nice shot and POV, Andrea. thumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif If I may comment, you could probably correct some of the magenta cast by bringing that color down on the post-processing. Some extra lens correction to correct the barrel distortion would be good, too. Lastly, a good selective dodging and burning would make this image pop more.
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    That is a really nice shot, Andrea. Shooting into the sun adds a little drama to the shot........thumb.gif The barrel distortion doesn't bother me... :Dgary
  • Carmelo75Carmelo75 Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Nice shot and POV, Andrea. thumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif If I may comment, you could probably correct some of the magenta cast by bringing that color down on the post-processing. Some extra lens correction to correct the barrel distortion would be good, too. Lastly, a good selective dodging and burning would make this image pop more.

Jiro, thanks a lot for the nice comment and your suggestions, which I've tried to follow (except for barrel correction, which needs some more work...).

Here is the new result. Does it pop more? Is that what you would have done?

Andrea.

EDIT: I've attached a smaller image for better quality
    edited April 23, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    That is a really nice shot, Andrea. Shooting into the sun adds a little drama to the shot........thumb.gif The barrel distortion doesn't bother me... :Dgary

Gary, thank you so much for your nice comment!

Andrea.
    edited April 23, 2011
    Carmelo75 wrote: »
    Jiro, thanks a lot for the nice comment and your suggestions, which I've tried to follow (except for barrel correction, which needs some more work...).

Here is the new result. Does it pop more? Is that what you would have done?

Andrea.

EDIT: I've attached a smaller image for better quality

I can see the improvement and it's good! Nice work. thumb.gifclap.gifclap

edited April 23, 2011
    I can see the improvement and it's good! Nice work. thumb.gifclap.gifclap

Jiro, thanks a lot for the very good suggestions, I've really appreciated...

Andrea.
    edited April 23, 2011
    Here's one possible edit on your image, Andrea. I tried correcting the barrel distortion but it didn't look good due to the tight space on the edges so I decided to keep it as it is. Since you have a flickr account, you can actually make a direct link to your images when you post it here so it will look better. Attaching images on your post seems to soften the image a bit. Hope this helps. You really did good on the edit, btw. clap.gif

5646209687_ea11f55e14_b.jpg

edited April 23, 2011
    Here's one possible edit on your image, Andrea. I tried correcting the barrel distortion but it didn't look good due to the tight space on the edges so I decided to keep it as it is. Since you have a flickr account, you can actually make a direct link to your images when you post it here so it will look better. Attaching images on your post seems to soften the image a bit. Hope this helps. You really did good on the edit, btw. clap.gif

Jiro, your PP look REALLY interesting!clap.gif Would you agree to share the steps you used (if you still remember them...)?

Concerning Flickr, in fact it is me who is quite lazy, and prefer to post the images there when they are close to final, to avoid having too many duplicates... but it's true that dgrin's way to treat attachment is far from ideal...

Andrea.
    edited April 23, 2011

Jiro, your PP look REALLY interesting!clap.gif Would you agree to share the steps you used (if you still remember them...)?

Concerning Flickr, in fact it is me who is quite lazy, and prefer to post the images there when they are close to final, to avoid having too many duplicates...:D but it's true that dgrin's way to treat attachment is far from ideal...

Andrea.
    edited April 23, 2011

Andrea.

Sure. I used Lightroom 3 to edit your work. If you have adobe CS5 it is basically the same as using Adobe Camera RAW inside CS5 and use the same edit values.

Here are the parameters:

TONE ADJUSTMENT

Exposure = 0
    Recovery = 71
    Fill Light = 23
    Blacks = 3
    Brightness = 0
    Contrast = 0

PRESENCE

Clarity = 40
    Vibrance = 22
    Saturation = 15

HSL ADJUSTMENTS

SATURATION
    Red = -43
    Orange = 0
    Yellow = 50
    Green = 20
    Aqua = 0
    Blue = 23
    Purple = -77
    Magenta = -75

LUMINANCE
    Red = 0
    Orange = 0
    Yellow = 0
    Green = -2
    Aqua = 0
    Blue = -18
    Purple = -73
    Magenta = -68

SHARPENING
    Amount = 64
    Radius = 1.0
    Detail = 25
    Masking = 0

NOISE REDUCTION
    Luminance = 10
    Detail = 50
    Contrast = 37

LENS VIGNETTING
    Amount = -17
    MidPoint = 50

POST CROP VIGNETTING
    Amount = -22

On the final edit, I use 2 kinds of adjustment brushes. One to brighten up some selective areas and the other one is to darken the other areas. Hope this helps. :D

edited April 23, 2011
    In fact I'm a Capture NX + photoshop CS user, so I cannot apply your settings directly, but as far as I can understand the local contrast enhancement is given by the "PRESENCE" settings, and then you did some adjustment by dodging&burning with a brush... I'll have to try to reproduce your result as soon as I'll have some quiet time! Just for curiosity, did you start from the first or the second image?

Thanks a lot for all your time and suggestions!!!!!!

Andrea.
    edited April 23, 2011
    In fact I'm a Capture NX + photoshop CS user, so I cannot apply your settings directly, but as far as I can understand the local contrast enhancement is given by the "PRESENCE" settings, and then you did some adjustment by dodging&burning with a brush... I'll have to try to reproduce your result as soon as I'll have some quiet time! Just for curiosity, did you start from the first or the second image?

Thanks a lot for all your time and suggestions!!!!!!

Andrea.

I used the first image. thumb.gif

edited April 28, 2011
    Here comes my quite final edit of the image. Not as popping as Jiro's version, but close enough for my taste...

Thanks for looking and for all the helpful comments.

Andrea.
    edited April 28, 2011
    Here comes my quite final edit of the image. Not as popping as Jiro's version, but close enough for my taste...

Thanks for looking and for all the helpful comments.

Andrea.

Nice edit, Andrea. 3 thumbs for the good work on the edit. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif