Options

Campaign to make Nikon code open source

RocketNewYorkRocketNewYork Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited May 1, 2011 in The Big Picture
I hope you join me in asking Nikon to make their software code open source. Capture NX can sometimes produce very good images but is far behind the competition on usability and integration. Releasing their source code into the public domain would encourage much needed innovation and experimentation.

Nikon Inc.
1300 Walt Whitman Road
Melville, NY 11747-3064, U.S.A.

Follow us on Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/Nikon_USA
Join us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/nikon?sk=wall

Campaign to make Nikon code open source

Dear Nikon,

I am a big fan of your cameras, lens and imaging equipment. Your gear has help capture some of the most dramatic, exciting images in many fields over the 80 years.
I look forward to using the new pro bodies (D800, D4?) when they are released.

I do however have to voice a complaint about your software. Capture NX (2.2.7) produces excellent results in terms of image quality, especially with regards to skin-tones and tonality. However the functionality and work flow are severely dysfunctional. Programmes like Photoshop & Lightroom are far superior in use for both the professional and amateur.

It is a shame to have to have to chose between image quality and usability. With this in mind I am asking for you to release the source code to your cameras, making it freely available in the public domain. It is my hope that through the talent, imagination and ingenuity of the public your code could be turned into something much better, even unexpected.

Photographers buy cameras to make images. The better the image, the happier we are. Make the process easy and you also have our loyalty.

Yours sincerely

Oliver

Rocket New York
rocketnewyork.com

http://rocketnewyork.com/campaign-to-make-nikon-code-open-source

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited April 22, 2011
    I moved this to the Big Picture forum.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RocketNewYorkRocketNewYork Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I moved this to the Big Picture forum.

Ok, thanks.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Although I've never used Nikon sotware, I'm not happy with Canon's either. If Capture NX is anything like Canon's DPP, then I totally understand. The camera companies aren't good at software. I think that's pretty obvious.

I would rather they hire a software company, kinda like Pentax does/did with Silkypix (don't remember the company though), and work together with a software-dedicated company to produce the best software. Not that I'm against open source, as that would be much better than now, but I think that's unlikely. Even if they get hundreds of letters asking for this, I don't think they'll do it. But I don't see why they won't partner with a software company. ne_nau.gif

I would like camera firmware to become open source. I've waited too long for being able to check my email on my camera's LCD. And checking my assistant's settings. And browsing the internet. And wirelessly transmitting my photos to my PC at home, or to the internet. Simple features that would be available by now with open source.