Beauty Beyond Words

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited April 28, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
The noted automotive author, Ken Purdy, once wrote that Duesenbergs were " a legend that will live as long as men worship beauty and power on wheels ". I couldn't say it any better. This prime example....a 1935 Duesenberg Model SJN....serves as testimony to the statement.

Sadly, the great market crash, and the depression that followed, pretty well spelled doom for the companies that produced cars of this caliber and expense. Those fiolks that could still afford a Duesenberg were affraid to exhibit their wealth with so much misery and grief in the world around them. The Hollywood elite, however, were an exception to that. The public expected them to live up to their perception of them as near royalty and the " stars " were only too happy to oblige them.

Only 4 Duesenberg SJ Cabriolet Convertibles were ever built. The 1st went to Clark Gable. The one you see here was the 3rd one built and the only factory-equipped supercharged JN Model ever assembled. This car has only 16,500 miles on it and is considered the lowest mileage original Duesenberg in existence.

It is the only white Duesenberg road car I've ever seen.

1261370763_snsKCd7-X2.jpg

1261370895_hXhqQL9-X2.jpg

1261370946_zmzSwbW-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    I love those Duesenbergs.....now if could just afford one.....:Dgary
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Another nice story and set of car images from you, Tom. Thanks for educating us about America's car history. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    I love those Duesenbergs.....now if could just afford one.....:Dgary

You and me both, Gary. Thanks for commenting.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 22, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Another nice story and set of car images from you, Tom. Thanks for educating us about America's car history. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks for your support, Jiro.

Tom
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Absolutely gorgeous car! Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    AZFred
    edited April 23, 2011
    yendikeno wrote: »
    Absolutely gorgeous car! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for looking in. I wish all the car guys ( and gals ) out there could share the experience of seeing these cars in " the flesh ".

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Oh no ... I see a car that will compete with my love for red cars. This one is beautiful.