Options

Jimmy Chin Shoots Climbers in Yosemite

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
edited April 23, 2011 in Sports
On assignment for National Geographic, photographer Jimmy Chin talks about what it takes to photograph climbers on such features as El Capitan and Half Dome.

You'd think he would be hanging in a hotel somewhere but he's camping at Camp 4 with all the other long term climbing residents of the park--amazing and worth a few minutes to watch.

ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/05/yosemite-climbing/on-assignment-video
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    I think Jimmy Chin is a climber first, and photographer, well, not quite as first. But I hope you get my drift.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Very awesome video! Couldnt even imagine how fun it would be to experience something like that.
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    If you are climbing walls in Yosemite you are a hardass and would probably want nothing to do with a hotel anyway. And if you are going to capture that vibe, you need be in it, not outside looking at it. It always helps to participate in or at least be a huge fan of a sport to capture great images of that sport. I just got the national geographic with that article. Pretty cool stuff.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    :jawdrop
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Unlock the bonus vid, wow cool swinging...
  • Options
    chris.vultaggiochris.vultaggio Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Jimmy Chin
    Chin's a real badass and pretty decent shooter, with some big serious first ascents to his credit. Part of his success with photography is getting there in the first place, whether humping gear into the alpine environments of big mountains or getting up to rig fixed lines in the middle of the night to catch Tommy Caldwell and crew out on el Cap. He takes the time to get in the right spots, and can manage the technicality of shooting there with rigging.

Tim Kemple is another top guy to check out who shoots a lot of climbing images, but Chin has done more up in the high mountains.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited April 23, 2011
    A part of the reason I made the camping vs. hotel comment was that you can't get stuff like he does (or any climbing photographer) without an intimate knowledge of the subject.

I just got a Nat Geo as well. Gonna have to look through that sooner :)
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?