Options

How to break into legit photography as a side business?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    I disagree with anyone saying, side business can't be pro. If you are good you are good. I was told the same thing 11 years ago. And all those who told me that were and are still stuck in the 90s with their business style.

The three things to consider so you don't get slapped with fines because other photographers will be cutthroat if they know you work in their area and could potentially threaten their business.

Get a business license

That is all you need to do to protect yourself from that. (I had it done to me when I was asking around)

Free shoots. I don't recommend it being totally free, or if the one comment says, treat it like they paid, then require them to purchase the prints from you. If they don't like the shoot, then don't make them pay, but don't give them product. (if you go the route, tfp (time for prints/cd)

You can do it really well. I was in law enforcement work, and left that stable steady job in 2006 to do this full time, (6 years on part time as the photog). I average about 70-90k per year doing weddings events, commercial work 80 percent people, and 20 percent commercial.

But I have marketed myself very well if I think so. Because we do get calls from out of state and are requested to travel to locations.

Good luck, and if you have any questions... message me! (facebook www.facebook.com/markdickinsonphoto)
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    I started on Craig's list and Model Mayhem, building a portfolio and word of mouth it took a couple years then took off way faster than I wanted to....

If your works is good and take care of your customers you will do well.
  • Options
    James TaylorJames Taylor Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2011
    That's part of the beauty of professional photography, especially on a part time basis - there is limitless potential for reward and, so long as you stay legal and out of debt, minimal risk. And there's a multitude of ways to break into the market and make very good money for your time investment.

As soon as these photography grognards start to spout phrases saying "you can't" or "you must" or "it won't work" or "this is the only thing that works," I just shake my head. There are no absolutes in business. I've seen business models that defy all logic and good sense turn unbelievable profits. I've watched perfectly normal, traditional models do the exact same - there are no absolutes.

I do know the vast majority of markets are under-served - customers are uninspired and overcharged almost everywhere... That's the sound of opportunity, my friends.