Which flag?

goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited April 29, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I am getting ready to enter a theme challenge. Part of the theme is "creative use of Flags"

I can't decide which of these two I like. I would love to hear your opinions. Or if you don't like either let me know that to and I will go back to the drawing board.

Sky Dive Flag

335765479_ZitLp-L-3.jpg

Sea of Flags

335751379_vb8EA-L-3.jpg

Any c/c and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• scootogscootog Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Love the first one.

My only suggestion would be to read up on flag etiquette.

AdventureSportRider
  • goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    scootog wrote: »
    Love the first one.

My only suggestion would be to read up on flag etiquette.

? Care to elaborate? I am a highly decorated Air Force and Desert Storm Veteran so I am curious as to what you mean?
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    I'd go with the 2nd image, Sir. If I may inject a suggestion, I would love to see a shot of the 2nd image where one one of the flag is in good focus, shallow depth of field blurring out the other flags in the background for a nice bokeh and shot in silhouette or backlight to accentuate the texture of the material. It would probably require you to shoot from the ground to be able to do that. :D Just a wild idea, Sir to be unique. My respect to you Sir for your service. I was in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia when Desert Shield and Desert Storm happened.
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    I will go for the second image as suggested by Jiro.
    My heart shrinks when I watch it, so many good people.
    God bless them all.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited April 23, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    I'd go with the 2nd image, Sir. If I may inject a suggestion, I would love to see a shot of the 2nd image where one one of the flag is in good focus, shallow depth of field blurring out the other flags in the background for a nice bokeh and shot in silhouette or backlight to accentuate the texture of the material. It would probably require you to shoot from the ground to be able to do that. :D Just a wild idea, Sir to be unique. My respect to you Sir for your service. I was in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia when Desert Shield and Desert Storm happened.

Thank you for the great idea Jiro, I will try that this coming Memorial Day. thumb.gif
    edited April 23, 2011
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    I will go for the second image as suggested by Jiro.
    My heart shrinks when I watch it, so many good people.
    God bless them all.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Yaflyyadie, It is very sad to see so many good people lost at such an early age. At least we still remember them on Veterans Day and Memorial Day.
    edited April 24, 2011
    140 views and only 3 opinions? My pictures must be so amazing that they take everyones breath away. thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Thanks to you from an Air Force retiree!

I like the first shot for 2 reasons: 1) IMO, it fits the concept of "creative" use of the flag and 2) from a photographic standpoint I like the central placement of the subject (this is one where the center works) and the simplicity of the image. You caught the flag at a good moment so that it shows motion and gives and some texture (the folds in the waving flag). I'm guessing this was at a football game or a race?

I am moved by #2 but I don't think it is "creative." It is actually a routine use of the flag. A more creative approach to the shot, like Jiro suggests, could make a good entry for your contest.

Best of luck!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Read up on rule of thirds.....That will improve your compositions...

The first shot, the guy needs to have space to move into....He should be on the right side of the picture. and in the upper third. And it seems a little dark.

The second picture would be my pick to show. Jiro is right ....If you had one flag or maybe three flags that were dead on and provided a center of interest so your eye doesn't wonder all over.

And I would personal shoot it with out people in it.....

If you do shoot it again make sure the center of interest { the in focus flag}
    isn't in the center of the picture.......think rule of thirds.....thumb.gif GOOD LUCK

I joined the Air Force in 1957 when I got out four years later I was making $112 dollars a month.......
    edited April 29, 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to comment Redleash and Azzaro. I appreciate it! And thanks to both of you for your service also!!!
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011