Options

Logo Critique and help

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited April 27, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
So I spent the better part of this afternoon on working a new logo, which is BADLY needed.

This is all done in PS CS5 using vector masks, well really using the shape tool which created vector masks. The shapes I created are filled in either black or white. I would love a way to change the vector masks to transparent to that is could be placed over any background and just have the logo show. But how?

But as or more importantly the logo as it currently stands for any thoughts. Shown in two sizes for an idea of scalability.

i-Vb4QwMw-Ti.jpg

i-Vb4QwMw-XL.jpg

And yes I plan on changing business name as well to match logo to Niagara Photography.

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    You're headed on the right track, it looks to me. The outer circle is too thin, it totally falls apart at the smaller size, and makes the P look weird. At the large size the circle just out of balance with the rest of it. And the space in the southeast quadrant feels out of balance with the other black areas. The eye looks very intense.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    You're headed on the right track, it looks to me. The outer circle is too thin, it totally falls apart at the smaller size, and makes the P look weird. At the large size the circle just out of balance with the rest of it. And the space in the southeast quadrant feels out of balance with the other black areas. The eye looks very intense.

I definitely see what you are talking about with the outer circle.

I did try messing with the P a bit, namely making it more round and reducing the black void in bottom right. That made the P look odd though and I think I would have a harder time getting the very elliptical eye in a much rounder P.

Final version will be round. The square around the logo is just kinda there, first because no transparencies in JPGs and second because I am struggling with PS on this. So ideally the black parts would be transparent.
    Then the white parts could be whatever colour I need at the time. Generally white or black I think.

Thank you for the input.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Thicker outer ring.

Logo V2

1262524549_5cv7LK9-Ti.jpg

1262524549_5cv7LK9-L.jpg

I think it is improving...

Any other comments?
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    As an experiment, a rounder P to slightly reduce the negative space in bottom right.

1262529507_mnHzX7p-Ti.jpg

1262529507_mnHzX7p-L.jpg
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Supposed to be an N and a P.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Have you tried running the diagonal line of the N through the center point? You would have to make other adjustments, as well.

20110423-fj4igy95xp8he3be5t3gym46ad.png
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Toshido wrote: »
    Supposed to be an N and a P.

I know that. What does the N, P and especially the eye, have to do with Niagara? I'm not picking on you, I'm just curious. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Have you tried running the diagonal line of the N through the center point? You would have to make other adjustments, as well.

20110423-fj4igy95xp8he3be5t3gym46ad.png

My original idea was like that, but then I was running into issues in what to do with the P.

I would like to keep this working in a circle for badges, promotional objects, and so on as well.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    I know that. What does the N, P and especially the eye, have to do with Niagara? I'm not picking on you, I'm just curious. ne_nau.gif

Well the N is the first letter in Niagara :)

This is where I live now so there is nothing particularly Niagara'ish to the logo and Niagara has no importance to me other then location and changing my company name to reflect area to make it more intuitive to find through search engines.

There was a thread in here some time ago about naming your company and I have been thinking on that for some time.

To avoid having to register my company name I would need to use just my full name, no additions. So that would leave "Randy Bodendorf"
    Does not exactly roll off the tongue and most have a hard time saying or spelling it so not the best for a domain name either.

I also don't think my name lends itself to being used with the addition of studio, photographer, photo, etc... either. So ruling those out.

I did have it as TAG Photos. TAG standing for Turkey And Gopher, but that only has meaning to my wife and myself, without explanation. Those were the pre birth nicknames of my children.

So that leaves the advice that I believe Glort gave, and that was to have a descriptive business name. I liked that idea so I am thinking of running with that.

A complete rebranding of myself is of paramount importance to that though.

Finally, you have given me an idea for the void in the P...
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    I just looked at your current logo and I see now why you need to do something different! Just not sure I like the design, especially the eye. When your designing your logo, you need to include your business name too.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    I just looked at your current logo and I see now why you need to do something different! Just not sure I like the design, especially the eye. When your designing your logo, you need to include your business name too.

Well I respectfully disagree there.

For example, look at Target, Walmart, McDonalds, Nike and so on. There are logos without any letters at all but are immediately identifiable.

While I do not expect to ever be internationally known, people should be able to recognize the logo without having to read it.

Of course the logo should work well with the text for times I want to write down the name as well, or more importantly for me, the website.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Toshido wrote: »
    Well I respectfully disagree there.

For example, look at Target, Walmart, McDonalds, Nike and so on. There are logos without any letters at all but are immediately identifiable.

While I do not expect to ever be internationally known, people should be able to recognize the logo without having to read it.

Of course the logo should work well with the text for times I want to write down the name as well, or more importantly for me, the website.

Yes, but they do have a unique font, not just a generic font. All I'm saying is when you design your graphic, you need to pick a good font that fits, that's all.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Yes, but they do have a unique font, not just a generic font. All I'm saying is when you design your graphic, you need to pick a good font that fits, that's all.

Agreed.
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I would lose the eyeball thing.
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I keep looking and looking at it. But my eye doesn't see the N (although I know that's what it's supposed to be.) I see the letters V P.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com