Flutterbys

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited April 26, 2011 in Holy Macro
Spent the day at a place called Tropical World yesterday. Part of the place was a butterfly house. Here's a couple I processed already...

5644402990_2591071b4b_b.jpg
Butterfly Portrait by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

5645614766_f40a4d5406_b.jpg
Butterfly Lunch 2 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Comments

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    These are excellent shots. I see Tropical World is only in Leeds... a mere 1 hrs drive from me. hmm, methinks I'll have to sort myself a trip up there sometime.
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    IPClark wrote: »
    These are excellent shots. I see Tropical World is only in Leeds... a mere 1 hrs drive from me. hmm, methinks I'll have to sort myself a trip up there sometime.

Yes, it's worth it. Where are you?

We got there at 10am, parking was over the road, and free. No queues...fairly relaxed walk round. The park was lovely, too. Got very busy later on and the parking got a bit silly in the afternoon...recommend an early start. :)
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    In Liverpool so straight up the M62 :).

Think this'll definitely be a To Do thing around July time. Got a cycling trip in Scotland next month, a break in the lakes in June so will do the Tropical World in July :)
  • BugchaserBugchaser Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2011
    I live 'oop noo-erth' 30 minutes away from Tropical World, if you have ever tripped over someone with a D90 around their neck, that was me!
    The thing I like about this place, apart from the free parking, is that you do not have to wait 20 minutes for your lenses to come up to temperature and the condensation to go - you are shooting immediately. Every other butterfly house I have visited, I have had to wait for the lenses to demist.
    I also like Butterfly World in Sheffield, which may be nearer for some of you.
    edited April 24, 2011
    Bugchaser wrote: »
    I live 'oop noo-erth' 30 minutes away from Tropical World, if you have ever tripped over someone with a D90 around their neck, that was me!
    The thing I like about this place, apart from the free parking, is that you do not have to wait 20 minutes for your lenses to come up to temperature and the condensation to go - you are shooting immediately. Every other butterfly house I have visited, I have had to wait for the lenses to demist.
    I also like Butterfly World in Sheffield, which may be nearer for some of you.

I had to wait for my lens, but not that long...didn't miss much, and was chasing the wife and kids about!
    I must say it was really nice, and we had a good day.

The one in Sheffield - do you mean in Anston? That was local to me when I was younger (and is only 10 minutes from my mum's) - I went to Dinnington School which is just around the corner. My cousin built quite a lot of the buildings for that one. Funny, but I've never been to it. Will make a trip out there one day, maybe. I'll look out for D90 trippers!

Where are you, then? I live in Barnsley now.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    edited April 25, 2011
    Thanks Brian. :)
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Nice shots and impressive detail :)
    edited April 26, 2011
    DeVil wrote: »
    Nice shots and impressive detail :)