Options

Servers down again!? Getting frustrated!!!

TorgadoTorgado Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited April 25, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Have an event gallery that is coming to an end- spent $120 in marketing/adverts for the gallery... and the servers are down on a weekend when people actually take time to place orders- I'm loosing money on this Smugmug!!! I've had 3 potential customers call me personally to complain that they can't get to the gallery, which means there are a lot more who aren't calling. STINK!

I really am venting here- getting really frustrated with the reliability of Smugmug... extremely frustrating!

So, I'm due to re-up my smugmug pro acct. on 5/1/11- very much considering making the jump over to Zenfolio or a year until Smug can get their act in gear (not just with up time, but also following through on features that smuggers have been begging for... self-fulfillment... more products from bayphoto (mounting/other types of thinwraps etc.) I do all of this self-fulfillment now because smug doesn't offer the products that bayphoto has. Just another layer of frustration...

Comments

• Options
    cbanthamcbantham Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    It looks like downtime is certainly on the rise with crashes on the 4/15, 4/18, 4/23. I think it is only a matter of time before SmugMug suffers a cataostrphic failure. It is obvious that there is very little redundancy built in so the issue does not need to be severe to take the system down.

I just checked the status.smugmug.com link and it is interesting that the entire column is green check marks with the exception of "entire site". How is there a green check by "commerce" and "upload" ? Those features don't work !

If this is your hobby then SmugMug is great. If you're trying to run a business than you probably need to lower your expectations or switch to a platform that you host yourself or is with a stable providor.

Chris
    www.chrisbantham.com

Torgado wrote: »
    Have an event gallery that is coming to an end- spent $120 in marketing/adverts for the gallery... and the servers are down on a weekend when people actually take time to place orders- I'm loosing money on this Smugmug!!! I've had 3 potential customers call me personally to complain that they can't get to the gallery, which means there are a lot more who aren't calling. STINK!

I really am venting here- getting really frustrated with the reliability of Smugmug... extremely frustrating!

So, I'm due to re-up my smugmug pro acct. on 5/1/11- very much considering making the jump over to Zenfolio or a year until Smug can get their act in gear (not just with up time, but also following through on features that smuggers have been begging for... self-fulfillment... more products from bayphoto (mounting/other types of thinwraps etc.) I do all of this self-fulfillment now because smug doesn't offer the products that bayphoto has. Just another layer of frustration...
  • Options
    PshotsPshots Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    its down again ?! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ccsccs Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    This is getting ridiculous. Can someone at smugmug tell us what's going on and why the servers are going down so often?

Smugmug seems to be going down in some way - either the site or it's services every other day. Not cool.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    ccs wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. Can someone at smugmug tell us what's going on and why the servers are going down so often?

Smugmug seems to be going down in some way - either the site or it's services every other day. Not cool.

It was a short-lived issue and our Ops team handled it in minutes. Sorry for the hassle. We've been explaining what's happening here: http://status.smugmug.com/services/entire-site and here:
    http://don.blogs.smugmug.com/2011/04/24/how-smugmug-survived-the-amazonpocalypse/

We try to be really transparent. Let us know if you have questions after having a look at those? Thanks!
  • Options
    ccsccs Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Thanks for being transparent. Short-lived is better than long yes, but it disrupts batch uploads in a rather annoying way!!