Recovering Files

TrapshooterTrapshooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited May 1, 2011 in Cameras
Does anyone has any suggestions on how to recovery files from an compact flash media card? I pulled a bone headed move and did not get all the files loaded onto my computer and now some of them can not be found. I have not used the card since the download and would like if possible to recover the original files.

Lesson learned: make a file of original before messing with said files!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 23, 2011
    Popular recovery software is PhotoRescue, RescuePro and Image Rescue. I have used ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) software with good results.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Popular recovery software is PhotoRescue, RescuePro and Image Rescue. I have used ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) software with good results.

15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gif all good recovery software............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    We've used this one with some success http://download.cnet.com/Recuva/3000-2242_4-10753287.html
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • TrapshooterTrapshooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Man do I love this site!!!!!!!!!!

Your help has made my neighbors and I very happy.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Man do I love this site!!!!!!!!!!

Your help has made my neighbors and I very happy.

Your happiness seems real, but the reason for it is left to our imagination!ne_nau.gifD

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    RE: "recovering files" Pardon my lack of knowledge because I don't know what a compact flash media card is but I have a similar problem with some missing photos from the card in my Nikon. I know I didn't delete them (I hope) but the photos did not show up when I downloaded the card to the computer. Would I use the same methods? JustPeachy2
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    RE: "recovering files" Pardon my lack of knowledge because I don't know what a compact flash media card is but I have a similar problem with some missing photos from the card in my Nikon. I know I didn't delete them (I hope) but the photos did not show up when I downloaded the card to the computer. Would I use the same methods? JustPeachy2
    Yes, as long as you haven't shot new images on the card, just get one of those programs, plug in the card, and run a recovery. It will show you a full card's worth of images, and if it's been months since the last time you actually filled the card up 100%, then you'll get images from that long ago! Doesn't matter how many times you format the card. :-)

Deleting individual images one at a time on the camera, strangely enough, CAN render some of them invisible to some recovery programs. So if you're ever shooting something EXTREMELY important, (like a Royal wedding Laughing.gif) I would refrain from in-camera deletion as well.

Take care and good luck,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Thanks Matt! I wish now I had put a "lock" on the photos. Hindsight is so helpful!! If I can recover the pictures of the polyphemus moth I will die happy; I don't know if I'll ever be lucky enough to see one again. When the moth emerged from it's cocoon there was still traces of snow on the ground. I had found the creature during a walk home with the dog. I carried it home carefully on a large leaf which he then used to make his cocoon and over- wintered in a margarine tub in the back garden. (If I had left it on the boulevard the man doing his lawn would have run it over.) Dot
  • TrapshooterTrapshooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Neil,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I used Recuva to get my files back. It worked wonders at fixing my boneheaded mistake. In fact, I was telling a guy at work about it when he was complaining about accidentally erased some file the other day.<o:p></o:p>
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Neil,<o:p></o:p>
    I used Recuva to get my files back. It worked wonders at fixing my boneheaded mistake. In fact, I was telling a guy at work about it when he was complaining about accidentally erased some file the other day.<o:p></o:p>

Ah! Now the tale is complete. Happy story, though you could have done without it! Maybe not, since you won't do what you did again!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • AISOSSAISOSS Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Neil,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Agreed on Recuva. I used it to get me out of a big jam--worked great.