The Triangle Of Death

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited April 28, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
fernandina%20033-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    A change of vision from you, Tom. I love it! Looks mysterious and kinda lonely. I bet this would look really spectacular in sunset. 5 thumbs bruddah! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 24, 2011
    Nice shot, Tom. If it were mine, I would give it a major contrast bump, as there don't seem to be any true whites or blacks.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    A change of vision from you, Tom. I love it! Looks mysterious and kinda lonely. I bet this would look really spectacular in sunset. 5 thumbs bruddah! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks, Jiro. I know it would appear that I'm consumed with car photography....and I am. But I do a lot of other kinds of shooting that I don't post very often. In fact....somewhat prodded along by some of your magnificent work...I'll soon be trying a little studio stuff.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 24, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice shot, Tom. If it were mine, I would give it a major contrast bump, as there don't seem to be any true whites or blacks.

As always, Richard, I really appreciate those times when you comment on my work. Thanks for making the effort to do so.

As you know, I don't do a lot of B+W work. More so than color, I find working in B+W to be highly subjective in terms of contrast control. In the scene I shot above, there was no real black point or white point to emphasize. It was a very " soft " scene to my perception.

Acting on your suggestion, I'm including a version here that exhibits quite a lot more contrast. It may, in fact, be more appealing to the majority of folks. My dilemma is that the enhanced-contrast version presents a more " stark " picture than the one I remember....some of the softness is gone.

When I look in at the " Streets " forum, I feel so much of that work that's in B+W is too contrasty for my taste. Perhaps I should realize that I need to shift my own conceptions to a position closer to what appears to be the accepted norm.

fernandina%20033-X2.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 24, 2011
    Acting on your suggestion, I'm including a version here that exhibits quite a lot more contrast. It may, in fact, be more appealing to the majority of folks. My dilemma is that the enhanced-contrast version presents a more " stark " picture than the one I remember....some of the softness is gone.

When I look in at the " Streets " forum, I feel so much of that work that's in B+W is too contrasty for my taste. Perhaps I should realize that I need to shift my own conceptions to a position closer to what appears to be the accepted norm.
    Well, partly it is a matter of taste, and there's absolutely no reason for you to change yours just because others don't share it. You are quite right that the revised version is starker and if that's not the way you saw the scene, then perhaps it's not appropriate. I would point out, though, that the title you selected gave expectations of a dramatic image. Had you called it "Lazy day at the beach" or something like that, the flatness would have been less surprising.

In any event, and FWIW, I prefer the second version (regardless of the title :D).
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Thanks, Jiro. I know it would appear that I'm consumed with car photography....and I am. But I do a lot of other kinds of shooting that I don't post very often. In fact....somewhat prodded along by some of your magnificent work...I'll soon be trying a little studio stuff.

Tom

Looking forward to your studio shots, Tom. thumb.gif Btw, on a personal level, I like your 2nd edit better. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    thumb.gif I like it Tom........:D
    edited April 24, 2011
    Thanks Richard and Jiro,

I think the consensus must be that the higher contrast approach is more appropriate in this case. In all honesty, B+W photography, as practiced by me, will probably benefit from a more heavy-handed approach concerning contrast application. We'll see, but I will definitely be more cognizant of this issue going forward.

Tom
    edited April 24, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    thumb.gif I like it Tom........:D

Thanks, Gary. I was certain that main dead tree had wheels on it....I guess not, though.:D

Take care,

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    But did you drive a CAR to the shoot? rolleyes1.gif

I do like B&W shots that have pure blacks and whites, but I think your second version is too stark for me. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for you as my B&W skills are minimal too.

Where did you shoot this?

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 24, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    But did you drive a CAR to the shoot? rolleyes1.gif

I do like B&W shots that have pure blacks and whites, but I think your second version is too stark for me. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for you as my B&W skills are minimal too.

Where did you shoot this?

Lauren

It's great to hear from you, Lauren.

I believe this B&W stuff is like most other photography practices....very much open to subjective evaluation. I, too, find the second rendering of the scene a little too stark for my personal taste. Yet again, other folks apparently feel differently. I don't see it as a " right or wrong " situation, or even as a reflection on the skills involved. We each have an eye for what appeals to us and it's to that end that we should direct our efforts.

I shot this scene on one of North Florida's barrier islands.....Big Talbot Island. At this section of the beach, a huge number of trees have fallen prey to the shore erosion brought on by big storms.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    I do see a triangle in this jumble of branches .. did you see it too? Is that how you found the title for it?

BW ... to me there are so many ways to present BW photos.
    edited April 25, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I do see a triangle in this jumble of branches .. did you see it too? Is that how you found the title for it?

BW ... to me there are so many ways to present BW photos.

Hi Mary,

I wish I had a prize to give you. That triangle you see is exactly how I came up with the title....the forlorn,dead trees being " death ", of course.

And you're right about the presentation of B&W photos.

Tom
    edited April 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info on location. My reference to my BW skills is really that I am seldom happy with my conversion efforts, but it is something I really want to do more of. I agree with you that about it being subjective.

BTW, I see at least 3 triangles . . .

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Tom! Such a different offering from you--I love it.

I was very busy being surprised by your first offering that I didn't at first notice the contrast--then when I saw your second re edited version and bowdown.gif. I think it's beautiful and stark (stark is definately the right word here).

i have seriously curbed my high contrast shots--but this made me miss them.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info on location. My reference to my BW skills is really that I am seldom happy with my conversion efforts, but it is something I really want to do more of. I agree with you that about it being subjective.

BTW, I see at least 3 triangles . . .

The scene is actually crawling with triangles. The one that first caught my eye is more imaginary than factual. Imagine, if you will, drawing a straight line across the bottom of the image....about two inches up from the bottom and going entirely across the frame. From each of the two side points....where that bottom line intersects with the side lines.....draw a line up to the tip of the tallest point of the dead tree. What results is roughly an equilateral triangle....containing within it almost all of the dead trees. The dead tree stump in the background contributes to that vision by having one of its two upward reaching branches pointing to the top of the perceived triangle.
    edited April 25, 2011
    Tom! Such a different offering from you--I love it.

I was very busy being surprised by your first offering that I didn't at first notice the contrast--then when I saw your second re edited version and bowdown.gif. I think it's beautiful and stark (stark is definately the right word here).

i have seriously curbed my high contrast shots--but this made me miss them.

Hi Liz,

Caught you a little off guard with this one, did I? I actually do quite a bit of work like this....I just don't post it.

I consider your response to this shot as high praise, particularly coming from one whose B&W work I've long admired. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Take care,

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Hey Tom,

I like the image, and either way you processed it. I like seeing how other photographers not only capture a scene, but also their vision in the processing. Its a joint effort, capture and post vision.

I read once, here on dgrin no less, that post processing clearly shows the photographers personality, and in particular, their mood at the time of processing. I think that's very true!

I'm guessing that when you took this shot and processed it, you were very laid-back, hence the non-dramatic recollection of the scene in your mind while processing. If you were stressed or angry when taking or processing the image, it likely would have come out more like the second version you posted.

Food for thought...
    Randy
    edited April 26, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Hey Tom,

I like the image, and either way you processed it. I like seeing how other photographers not only capture a scene, but also their vision in the processing. Its a joint effort, capture and post vision.

I read once, here on dgrin no less, that post processing clearly shows the photographers personality, and in particular, their mood at the time of processing. I think that's very true!

I'm guessing that when you took this shot and processed it, you were very laid-back, hence the non-dramatic recollection of the scene in your mind while processing. If you were stressed or angry when taking or processing the image, it likely would have come out more like the second version you posted.

Food for thought...

Yo Pard,

Damn, I'm sending a plane for you....we're headed to Vegas a quick as we can get there. Anyone as perceptive as you has got to be a huge asset at the gaming tables.

Upon reflection, I find your " food for thought " not only very interesting, but full of valid assumptions as well. I've never given those considerations much conscious thought but I think your conclusions are spot-on right.

I'm going to have Darlene check me over carefully to make sure you haven't somehow planted a wire on me. When I took that shot, I was as laid-back as one can possibly be.:D

Take care my friend,

Tom
    edited April 26, 2011
    Yo Pard,

Damn, I'm sending a plane for you....we're headed to Vegas a quick as we can get there. Anyone as perceptive as you has got to be a huge asset at the gaming tables.

Upon reflection, I find your " food for thought " not only very interesting, but full of valid assumptions as well. I've never given those considerations much conscious thought but I think your conclusions are spot-on right.

I'm going to have Darlene check me over carefully to make sure you haven't somehow planted a wire on me. When I took that shot, I was as laid-back as one can possibly be.:D

Take care my friend,

Tom

One step further...

Your great automobile shots:
    • Rich bold colors
    • Attention to details
    • Full encompassing angles
    • Vehicle history researched
    • Presented as a full package of above
    Your unsuspecting images give way to your personality traits, good or bad. Don't take my word for it, ask Darlene to read this and give you her opinion. Since I know you personally, it was no magic trick to connect the dots here, and yes, that's you...

We just happen to be talking about you here, but it applies to all photographers, knowingly or not!
    Randy
    edited April 26, 2011
    OK, now I want to know what you two gentleman find about me in my images . . . This could make for a very interesting forum on its own! :D

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 26, 2011
    Now, now, Lauren. If we divulged all of our secrets, we wouldn't have the needed leverage over you gals. And, lets face the truth, we need that leverage just to stay in the ball game.:D

Tom
    edited April 26, 2011
    mwink.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    OK, now I want to know what you two gentleman find about me in my images . . . This could make for a very interesting forum on its own! :D

Lauren

Oh Lauren .. I was too afraid to ask rolleyes1.gifYour much bolder then I :D
    edited April 26, 2011

Lauren

We cautiously watch as Lauren sets the trap, but were too smart for this one eek7.gif
    Randy
    edited April 27, 2011
    You know what they say, Randy: "age and treachery overcome youth and skill." Now, which one applies to you and which one to me? rolleyes1.gif

Mary, don't be shy--these guys are soft at heart.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Ok I'm back.
    While it's my personal taste that I prefer your second version (and Randy's post made me ponder what that meant, my one semester of psych 101 tells me I'm probably always on the go hardly ever relaxed and the my high contrast shots show that---love some self analysis:), I keep going back to the original post and it reminds me the movie "From here to Eternity". Now I've never seen the entire movie but that one scene that gets repeated all the time is what sticks in my mind--the couple kissing on the beach, your shot reminds me of that scene, um minus the hot couple:). the processing reminds me of that scene I should say.

Now to google it and see if I'm right.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 27, 2011
    Ok I'm back.
    While it's my personal taste that I prefer your second version (and Randy's post made me ponder what that meant, my one semester of psych 101 tells me I'm probably always on the go hardly ever relaxed and the my high contrast shots show that---love some self analysis:), I keep going back to the original post and it reminds me the movie "From here to Eternity". Now I've never seen the entire movie but that one scene that gets repeated all the time is what sticks in my mind--the couple kissing on the beach, your shot reminds me of that scene, um minus the hot couple:). the processing reminds me of that scene I should say.

Now to google it and see if I'm right.

Holy Moly, Liz. After reading this post, I'm just hoping that hypnosis can bring me back. To think that my PP work could send someone to movieland was more than my weak psyche could deal with.:D:D

Tom
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 27, 2011
    One other point about the processing, and that is that the contrast, even in the lower contrast image, will be much higher here on line on a retro-illuminated monitor, than when printed on a page.

Both renderings, have their good points, but the first image does not make use of the entire contrast range, and when printed on paper, will look fairly flat, I submit.

The first image matches a cloudy sky lighting, and the second, appears more like lit by sunlight, than a cloud bank in the sky.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 27, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    One other point about the processing, and that is that the contrast, even in the lower contrast image, will be much higher here on line on a retro-illuminated monitor, than when printed on a page.

Both renderings, have their good points, but the first image does not make use of the entire contrast range, and when printed on paper, will look fairly flat, I submit.

The first image matches a cloudy sky lighting, and the second, appears more like lit by sunlight, than a cloud bank in the sky.

Many thanks for taking the time to comment here. I assume you're entirely correct about the appearance of these images as they are viewed on the monitor, as opposed to what they would look like in the printed format.

There's no question that the first image did not explore the entire contrast range....by my intent. The second rendering did. Since it was understood that these images were to be seen on the monitor, that was the only presentation format on my mind. And, that being the case, the first offering most accurately reflects the scene as I remember it and is the one I find most pleasing to my eye.The second offering ( which more folks may prefer ) may, in fact, be more representative of reality. I'm not sure.

In any event, I might well find out if I were to print them up that your observations are correct ( and I assume they are ) and some different PP might be called for.

Tom