Options

Image displays all wrong!

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited May 2, 2011 in Finishing School
I have this photo which looks absolutely fine when shown in Windows, and on Flickr, etc.

Here is a screen shot from Picture Viewer...
5648859624_c9000f167c_b.jpg
Picture OK by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Now when I uploaded this to Facebook, or when I use it as a windows wallpaper (and possibly in one or two other places) it looks like this (a screenshot of my desktop with image as wallpaper)...
5648295531_af30ce3855_b.jpg
picture rubbish by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Now why would that be the case?

Lots of other images from the day were fine. I did have this once before with an image I uploaded to a competition website...looked great on my computer, but was nasty like this on the website...no end of uploads would sort it...

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Is it a raw file and the program can't read it accurately? I know that my s95 CR2 images display very strangely indeed in Picasa (seriously psychadelic!)
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2011
    Hi Divamum.

No, these are JPEG. I do shoot RAW, and process the same way every time, so it was strange that it was just this image that went funny.

I sorted it, though. It seems that if the image is too large, and high quality saved, then Facebook (andf my desktop, it seems) will resize it. It is this resizing that causes the bother. I resized the image using Save for Web in PS, to 1024px wide, and it displayes perfectly well in Facebook now.

Now I know...it is not always best to save as big quality files! :)
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Hi,
    It has nothing to do with the prob; just FYI:

I checked some of your images in Flickr, some of them are in aRGB (seems all with the frame, bot not only them) and by this appear desaturated on non-managed apps and browsers.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    ablichter wrote: »
    Hi,
    It has nothing to do with the prob; just FYI:

I checked some of your images in Flickr, some of them are in aRGB (seems all with the frame, bot not only them) and by this appear desaturated on non-managed apps and browsers.

Yes, I started to get this...I set the camera to sRGB, but then shooting in RAW means that that is worthless. I look in Photoshop, but can't find where to convert. only place I can see is in Save for Web. Should I work in the usual RGB, then save an RGB version, and also an sRGB version?

I may have to start a new system again...i just got used to my current workflow. :)
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    Yes, I started to get this...I set the camera to sRGB, but then shooting in RAW means that that is worthless. I look in Photoshop, but can't find where to convert. only place I can see is in Save for Web. Should I work in the usual RGB, then save an RGB version, and also an sRGB version?

I may have to start a new system again...i just got used to my current workflow. :)
    When shooting RAW you should IMHO work in your preferred colorspace (aRGB or ProPhoto) and save them in this colorspace to a master (which I guess) you have - PSD or TIFF.

When generating scaled images for web, use f.e. an action which resizes, flatten and convert to sRGB and 8 bit in one run.
    In an action you can have severall options for the image size, which just have to be clicked on and off when needed f.e. for 800x533 or 1024x680px.

Or use File => Scripts => Image Processor to batch resizes and convert a whole directory.

Manually you convert with Edit => "Convert to Profile" in PS.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    When shooting RAW you should IMHO work in your preferred colorspace (aRGB or ProPhoto) and save them in this colorspace to a master (which I guess) you have - PSD or TIFF.

When generating scaled images for web, use f.e. an action which resizes, flatten and convert to sRGB and 8 bit in one run.
    In an action you can have severall options for the image size, which just have to be clicked on and off when needed f.e. for 800x533 or 1024x680px.

Or use File => Scripts => Image Processor to batch resizes and convert a whole directory.

Manually you convert with Edit => "Convert to Profile" in PS.

Thanks for that. I tend to use Bridge to then send images via ACR to photoshop. I mess with them there, and save as PSD. I then flatten and save as JPEG. Are you saying it is at the point of flattening and saving as JPEG that I convert to sRGB? I can easily record actions (or find them) to do the resize, change of profile, etc. it's just knowing when to do that bit.
    I assume I need RGB for print, and sRGB for screen?

Thanks again
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2011
    Thanks for that. I tend to use Bridge to then send images via ACR to photoshop. I mess with them there, and save as PSD. I then flatten and save as JPEG. Are you saying it is at the point of flattening and saving as JPEG that I convert to sRGB?
    Yepp, this is what I do when those images are meant for web.
    I can easily record actions (or find them) to do the resize, change of profile, etc. it's just knowing when to do that bit.
    I assume I need RGB for print, and sRGB for screen?

Thanks again
    What is needed for printing might depend. Some online print services want sRGB some aRGB, lots take JPEG, some TIFF.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2011
    Yepp, this is what I do when those images are meant for web.

What is needed for printing might depend. Some online print services want sRGB some aRGB, lots take JPEG, some TIFF.

Thanks.
    I just started a new workflow which includes PSD, aRGB, then resize as sRGB for Flickr and the web.

See how we go from here. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2011
    Thanks.
    You are welcome.
    I just started a new workflow which includes PSD, aRGB, then resize as sRGB for Flickr and the web.
    See how we go from here. :)
    The new uploads in Flickr looks good so far ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2011
    You are welcome.
    The new uploads in Flickr looks good so far ;-)

Maybe just a tad small...but I can work on that. :)
    Cheers