Obsolete Technology

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited April 28, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I went to some nature trails the other day because they had the promise of mill remnants. I love these kinds of ruins and I'm beginning to seek them out more and more. Here's one of 3 I saw -

5649848346_1d45688480_b.jpg

It was probably a grist or timber mill, but I couldn't find any specific info about it or even the name of the brook (probably something original like Mill Brook or Mill Creek). This was the easiest to shoot of the day, just stood comfortably on the other wall with the tripod. thanks for checking it out.

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Glad you told me it was part of an old mill of some kind. I thought it was just some rocks stacked up to hold the earth up. I know .. not too smart am I rolleyes1.gif

The water is awesome thumb.gif
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    thanks Mary. these pretty much litter the woods in New England, but aren't so common elsewhere so don't feel dumb.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    thanks Mary. these pretty much litter the woods in New England, but aren't so common elsewhere so don't feel dumb.

I would love to stumble upon one of these. Now I don't feel so dumb :D
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    You won't usually find sites like these listed publicly, especially if it is even the least little bit historically significant. I work for a transportation company and we do Environmental Studies for proposed roads and bridges and such. While we have access to info on places like this it is usually kept from general public knowledge to help protect it from unscrupulous characters (i.e. Treasure Hunters), otherwise the whole area would be dug up and nothing would be left. When I stumble across a find like this I feel that much more fortunate. Mark it on your map and be sure to revisit it in the future. Eventually all that will be left are the photos.

Oh, and, nice find and great capture! thumb.gif Thanks for sharing.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Thanks Kevin. yeah, that's the sad truth isn't it?
  • spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    nice shot, I used to love finding sites like this when hiking through the woods in Virginia.