Filters... what do you all use.

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited April 26, 2011 in Landscapes
So I finally dove into the world of filters a couple months ago with the purchase of some graduated ND filters. I have a 1-stop, 2-stop and 3-stop filter. I also have a circular polarizer filter. I'm thinking of picking up a sunset filter and was wondering if anyone has used them. Also, is there any other filters you guys recommend?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    I don't use any warming filters but one pickup I use all the time expecially for waterfalls in a Signray Var-n-duo which is a 2-8 stop variable ND screw on filter which also includes a polarizer. I also have a 10 stop screw on filter that comes in handy once in a while when working with lake or ocean scenes.
  • wizardrywizardry Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    I use a Hoya ND-400 and i have 2 singh rays (3 stop GND and 3 stop rev GND). That combination works great with most of the seascapes i shoot. I also have a Hoya ND2,4,8 but i rarely use them these days. Good Luck!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    The only filters I use are polarizers, I do want (but don't yet own) an 8 or 10 stop ND filter (the vari-ND filter from Singh-Ray looks interesting, but I think the vignetting would be crazy on my 16-35 since it's not a thin filter).

As for GND filters, in my experience all of them (even the supposed good ones like Singh Ray) have a very strong magenta cast on the dark side of the filter. For a 2-stop or less it's more subtle, for a 3-stop it can become really distracting. I still own a 2-stop soft GND but that's it, and I rarely use it. It's more flexible to blend two exposures in post-processing IMO.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    +10 on the 10-stop ND. I only have two filters - that and a circular polarizer that I almost never take out of my bag. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I slow down and use the 10-stop.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I think you have all the filters you really need.
    Everything else you can do easier in processing.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I have a CP because you can't replicate that in post. Everything else can be done in post, IMO.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    only filters i use are a polarizer, a 2-stop ND, and occasionally a grad ND. thinking about getting a stronger ND filter, but haven't gotten around to it yet. of these, the polarizer gets by far the most use.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • wizardrywizardry Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I kind of disagree with this...especially for shots where you need to slow the shutter down...a CPL isnt going to allow you to take a 1-2 sec exposures on a bright sunny day even at ISO 50 and F22....i live with my ND400 in the bag always....
    zoomer wrote: »
    I think you have all the filters you really need.
    Everything else you can do easier in processing.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    wizardry wrote: »
    I kind of disagree with this...especially for shots where you need to slow the shutter down...a CPL isnt going to allow you to take a 1-2 sec exposures on a bright sunny day even at ISO 50 and F22....i live with my ND400 in the bag always....

Agreed.
    I have never used one, but that effect cannot be duplicated in post.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Another vote for circular polarizer and an ND. Everything else in PP. Singh-Ray Vari-ND are expensive, but it's nice to be able dial it in.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Thanks guys. I think I do need a strong ND filter since I only have graduated filters right now. Not sure about the sunset filter now since I know I can mimic the effects in post pretty easily and I rather do that then have to fuss with one more piece of equipment.

I think the most interesting comment was from Ron. I've always assumed you relied heavily on GND filters based on your photos. Never once thought you were blending exposures. This shot here was a blended exposure that I think turned out pretty well:

1255891795_dFC3k9r-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • ScottWScottW Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I am looking into getting a few ND filters. I have seen some amazing shots due to the effect from a ND filter.
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Circ Polarizers for all glass and -3stop ND for the wide. Good post.

Alex, that quote actually made me laugh out loud!!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    Circ Polarizers for all glass and -3stop ND for the wide. Good post.

Alex, that quote actually made me laugh out loud!!

HAHA. Every now and again, my wife says some really funny stuff but she doesn't actually say it to be funny. This makes it even funnier. I used to have a word document where I wrote them down. Did so for years. Then my HD crashed and I lost it. I've been meaning to start another but haven't gotten around to it.

My Smug Site
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I use Hi-Tech grads and solid ND's, and I seem to have a decent amount of succes with them...I have a 2, 3, and 4 stop soft edge grad, I originally used to stack a 2 and 3 stop to cover really tough scenes, but sometimes it is too much with 5 stops of grad on top, like Ron said, it can cause a magenta cast when stacking, or even when by themselves, depending on the brand. So I bought the 4 stop for the perfect solution for stacking on really tough scenes. I did write a FAQ for ND filters, it is in the equipment forum (it's in my signature below). I highly recommend if you are going to spend the money, first research a lot. And if you are going to spend the money, go with the best stuff the first time, or you will end up spending more later...IE Lee, Singh Ray or Hi-Tech. I actually want to go to Lee, as they are more optically pure than Hi-Tech, who is made by Lee anyway. I will NOT go near Cokin ever again...worst magenta cast of all time...I do however use their holders and rings...they are decently priced, and do what I need them to do...hold the filter.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Thanks guys. I think I do need a strong ND filter since I only have graduated filters right now. Not sure about the sunset filter now since I know I can mimic the effects in post pretty easily and I rather do that then have to fuss with one more piece of equipment.

I think the most interesting comment was from Ron. I've always assumed you relied heavily on GND filters based on your photos. Never once thought you were blending exposures. This shot here was a blended exposure that I think turned out pretty well:

I used to use them a lot but I stopped probably 2 years ago. All of my exposure blends are manual (layers in Photoshop), I haven't touched Photomatix or any tone-mapping software forever.

For your photo, there's a slight white halo in the right horizon above the rock, and the rocks in the lower left have a tone-mapping feel to them (shadows don't look quite correct).

There was a good thread on HDR awhile back that might be relevant to this discussion re: exposure blending: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=165183
    edited April 26, 2011
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    I used to use them a lot but I stopped probably 2 years ago. All of my exposure blends are manual (layers in Photoshop), I haven't touched Photomatix or any tone-mapping software forever.

For your photo, there's a slight white halo in the right horizon above the rock, and the rocks in the lower left have a tone-mapping feel to them (shadows don't look quite correct).

There was a good thread on HDR awhile back that might be relevant to this discussion re: exposure blending: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=165183

Ron... Yeah. I saw the halo on the right, but got lazy and didn't correct it. I went a "outside the lines" when blending with the brush.

This photo was not toned mapped. I simply blended three exposures manually in PS. The "tone mapped" feel you describe may be from the B&W layer I blended in to bring it more tonal depth in the rock shadows.

I have Photomatix but haven't used it in quite some time. I find I get better results, at least to my taste, by manually blending exposures in Photoshop.

My Smug Site