SuperMoto in Reno

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited October 5, 2005 in Sports
I usually don't post in this forum because I usually don't shoot sporting events. Thought I'd give it a try; first motorsport shooting.

Here are a few that I got processed tonight.

50118710.jpg
Canon EOS 20D ,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
1/250s f/8.0 at 100.0mm iso200

Check out the back wheel to the middle rider. Quite common to skip like that.
50119395.jpg
1/250s f/8.0 at 100.0mm iso200

I think he thought he was a jet plane (race number is 747).
50120170.jpg
1/350s f/6.7 at 100.0mm iso200

The racing was a blast to watch and I'm looking forward to watching it next year. I have more shots, just this is all for now (tired and must go to bed).

Thanks for looking and comments always welcome,
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    As you pointed out... the outside bike in the 2nd. Thats a wild ride.
    You did well...thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 2, 2005
    Nice motion blur thumb.gif

The skipping wheel just increases the pucker factor a little
    bit (as does the sliding front end).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    As you pointed out... the outside bike in the 2nd. Thats a wild ride.
    You did well...thumb.gif
    Thanks. I had never seen SuperMoto before and wasn't quite sure what to expect. The bikes are a compromise since it's 80% street and 20% dirt with jumps and whoop-de-do's. It's a blast and they were running in our downtown area (imported the dirt section). I'll be definitely doing this again.

Thanks again,
    Chris

edited October 2, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice motion blur thumb.gif

The skipping wheel just increases the pucker factor a little
    bit (as does the sliding front end).

Ian
    I pucker when I see these guys and gals doing this. I'm happy being a spectator and would not want to actually run in a race like this. I was purposely using a slow shutter speed for the motion blur which meant that quite a few shots are not very sharp. Well worth it in my book for those that did come out.

Thanks for the look,
    Chris

• gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Great shots, there can be some great action and spills in supermoto clap.gif

Gary
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Nice work Chris!

Twas a blast huh?

Andrew :)
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    As I said in Andrew's post, this is a sport that I really like. It is televises on Eurosport and is great craic. You got some great shots Christhumb.gif

Shay.
    edited October 3, 2005
    Thanks Gary, Andrew and Shay,
    for the comments. I didn't follow the sport this year, but now that I have a taste for it, I'll follow it next year. No major spills on this track. It was fairly tight with a couple of longer runs that got them up to about 60mph. There were two larger jumps, one that they were able to get some great air on.

I shot about 500 pictures and am really happy with the few (30-40) that came out, especially since it was my first time for this kind of shooting.

I lurk here and have learned a lot that I was able to put into practice for this event. I just want to say thanks to all those who post and critique here (sports forum) as it helped me get some worth while shots.

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 3, 2005
    Great shot of Jeff Ward (#1) thumb.gif

I want a supermoto bike!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 3, 2005
    I ended up with quite a few of him that are tack sharp. I guess he knew where I was prefocusing and went on that line:D.

I wouldn't mind having one either, but wouldn't know what to do with it once I got it. Never been much of a racer type on bikes. I play with the touring style now and don't much like the feel of the center stand scraping pavement around the corners (wife usually hits me in the back of the helmet when I do that). Then again, going down at 70 in a corner will also make someone change their mind on how they want to ride (had an RD400 that was tricked by Yamaha, way radical).

Thanks for looking,
    Chris

• charliestoutcharliestout Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2005
    A Suggestion For Bikes During The Day
    While it's pretty common to shoot at 2.8 for motorsports, I've made an interesting discovery. Opening a lens up wide open like that lets in gobs of light, and permits high shutter speeds, but it's often the softest setting on the lens. Even at 100mm, a shot at 2.8 isn't going to give you much depth of field - check the photo of the bike w/ the rear tire skipping. The stuff in the foreground isn't as sharp as it could be.

I'd suggest stopping down to F8 or so, especially if you have the advantage of daylight. It doesn't hurt to crank up to 200 or even 400 iso in the daylight, because digital noise has a tendency to disappear in all the light. You can still get a shutter speed of 1/500 or greater, which will be enough to stop the spokes.

Additionally, you'll get a much sharper image, which can often provide dramatic results!

I just discovered this last Saturday as I shot an outdoor MX race for the first time in the daytime! (I've been shooting at night for the past month) and was stunned at the results from shooting at F8! Give it a try next time!
    edited October 5, 2005
    Hi Charlie,
    Welcome to Dgrin. Let's see some of those shots you mentioned. We are a friendly bunch here and like to share.

I absolutely agree with you. If you look at the pictures, just below each one is the exif data. Most were shot at f8. I was using a shutter speed between 1/180 and 1/500 depending on what angle and shot I was wanting. I was using my iso speed to balance out the DOF and shutter speed I was trying to obtain. Granted, I didn't have to change it all that much, but it's part of the magic triad (speed, volume and sensitivity).

I appreciate your info. The hardest part for me was trying to get the motion blur and sharpness of the rider in the same shot. Not an easy task.

Thanks for looking and glad you commented,
    Chris