Options

A portrait with an attitude

13»

Comments

• Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Awesome work. I recommend doing a complete series of this stuff. What was Pugsley's sisters name?

Her name is Wednesday :D
    The link is strengthened by the era of the chair:

adams_family.jpg
    ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    First off - what a boring forum that would be. Leave all your emotions out of it? No thanks.

Second - headscratch.gif

So everyone should leave their emotions out of it except you? You make one technical observation (separation) and the rest of your critique is all about emotions.

I'm saying it's an emotional provoking image and am leaving it at that, with the addition of type of emotion it stirred. I'm not letting *my* emotions cloud that critique and am not adding anything more than a critique. My words are directed at what's displayed on my computron and not the net 'possible' result of the said image OR the subject(s) contained within.

IMO some posts in here went waaay off topic and were moderated with just cause. If people want to banter on about how imagery affects the general populace, they then should start their own thread on the subject. Because, as you can see,,,,, it's a thread killer otherwise. mwink.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    IMO some posts in here went waaay off topic and were moderated with just cause. If people want to banter on about how imagery affects the general populace, they then should start their own thread on the subject. Because, as you can see,,,,, it's a thread killer otherwise. mwink.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

That's why there's a Sub-forum called "The Big Picture." Though, even in the Big Picture, ad hominem attacks won't be tolerated.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    All,

Originally, I did not have time to read every post thoroughly before deleting. As a whole, I felt this thread was getting way off track and people were beginning to get personal so acted swiftly in the interest of decorum. I had time to thoroughly read through each post and I've restored those that I felt were within Dgrin guidelines.

More photography, less Dr. Phil show.

Thanks,
    - Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Just read this entire thread... wow. I do find the image to be in poor taste, but so what. I also think that the photo is being giving far too much credit. I don't find it to be very clever, as kids with knives are cliche. Post some more beautiful women, please.
  • Options
    Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Boys with knives are cliche, but beautiful women aren't? Care to elaborate on this? ;)
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    Beautiful women are beautiful women. They're immune ;)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    All,

Originally, I did not have time to read every post thoroughly before deleting. As a whole, I felt this thread was getting way off track and people were beginning to get personal so acted swiftly in the interest of decorum. I had time to thoroughly read through each post and I've restored those that I felt were within Dgrin guidelines.

More photography, less Dr. Phil show.

Thanks,
    - Alex

Well I for one welcome seeing a softening of attitude from perhaps the only dictatorial, anti-intellectual Cuban redneck in the world. :D

Sam
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Great work of art!!!!!
    I like this very much...misses the 19th century mark a bit due to the sharpness of the image, this is based on the several 19th century portraits I have restored for people (There is huge difference between soft optics and backing off a sharply focused optic, out of focus looks out of focus not soft)......and that was due to the lack of crisp sharp optics and the type of lighting they had to use in the 19th century...but this is a very valid and good try at that style of portrait......

Marcin, you might think of redoing with a soft-focus filter or lensbaby with soft optics........with a soft-focus filter you would need to focus, put camera in manual focus and then place filter over the lens to take shot or just manually focus and then place filter over lens and take shot......

All in all I really like this shot......GREAT WORK OF ART.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    wow. some really poor judgment on the moderator's part in this thread.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    You took the time to express your opinion of the mod, but not the pic?
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    oh I did express my opinion of the pic in a very valid way without profanity or personal attack, and it was deleted. apparently the mod sees nothing wrong with this image and has no tolerance for anyone who does.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    I didn't realize you were one of the victims, sorry.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    oh I did express my opinion of the pic in a very valid way without profanity or personal attack, and it was deleted. apparently the mod sees nothing wrong with this image and has no tolerance for anyone who does.

oh. If I recall correctly, your post was about me scoring points for a future divorce case... Mind you, I took it pretty personally...
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    that was free legal advice. you're welcome. you really need a thick skin before you go posting bait like that picture.
    -Jack

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    I'm very glad that some of the missing posts were returned. In particular, Marcin's post #21 provided invaluable insight into his thoughts behind the image and how it came to be.
    Thank you for sharing the photo (I still love the awkward position of the feet!) and the thoughts behind it!
    E
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    that was free legal advice. you're welcome. you really need a thick skin before you go posting bait like that picture.

Free'n'legal, sure, yeah... possibly that's why it's been deleted, too. That much goodwill was too overwhelming I guess.