Canon 60D vs Nikon D7000

FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited May 4, 2011 in Cameras
My daughter is looking to buy her first DSLR and I wish to give her some advice. The choice will be between the Canon 60D and the Nikon D7000. She will be photographing children and maternity. Have any of you considered the above options if you were buying your first DSLR based on today's technology? Any other choices?
Thanks.
John

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Between the two cameras, just looking at the features, I'd say it's No Contest, with a capital "No" ;~). The D7000, from a purely feature perspective, is way better. It's got a few less MPs, but that won't make any difference unless you're printing really, really big. It's got 6fps, vs the 5 of the 60D. It's got the intervalometer, a magnesium body (AFAIK), very good high ISO performance(perhaps the best of any APS-C sensor) , and a few other features that just beat the Canon. I'd say it beats the Canon in every way, and, if I were just starting out, would choose the Nikon without question.

However, she should really hold both cameras (know of a nearby camera store?) and see which feels better in her hands. The 60D is a better buy if it's more comfortable than the D7000.

Another thing to think about is the flip screen of the 60D. Its usefulness varies from user to user, but I think it's the only feature in which the 60D beats the D7000. Not counting the MP difference, because like I said it doesn't really matter.

If nothing else, I'd choose the D7000 just for the ISO capability. That'll be very useful indoors.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    ditto. D7000 is definitely several tiers above the 60D
    //Leah
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    My daughter is looking to buy her first DSLR and I wish to give her some advice. The choice will be between the Canon 60D and the Nikon D7000. She will be photographing children and maternity. Have any of you considered the above options if you were buying your first DSLR based on today's technology? Any other choices?
    Thanks.
    John

Without question I would choose the Canon 60D because it has better ISO performance for low light, better AF (auto focusing), higher resolution image quality and significantly better HD video than the Nikon D7000.
    http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/01/lab-test-canon-60d
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 25, 2011
    I could easily recommend either of those cameras as a first body. Remember that she will be buying into a system. Research lenses, flashes and other accessories as a function of that system.

For instance, while both Canon and Nikon have crop zoom lenses in the 17-55mm, f2.8 specification, and they are both very high quality, the Canon version is available for around $350 less and the Canon version has IS. Canon also has the stellar 70-200mm, f4L zooms, of which there is no Nikon equivalent.

Of course she could go with some very nice third-party zooms which are available in both manufacturer mounts, and that levels the field quite a bit.

I will admit that when I first saw a Nikon D7000 in Chicago in late October 2010, I was extremely impressed. It's a very nice, well rounded body with an excellent feature set and very good image quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 25, 2011
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    Without question I would choose the Canon 60D because it has better ISO performance for low light, better AF (auto focusing), higher resolution image quality and significantly better HD video than the Nikon D7000.

4mp is negligible. It has better AF and ISO? OK, this magazine said it barely does... who knows.

The D7000 also has dual card slots and a 100% viewfinder. At least, Pop Photo says it does ;~)
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Like CanonGuy, I would need more than one magazine saying the 60D has better low light iso performance than the D7000. the D7000 tests I've seen have been pretty danged amazing.
    //Leah
    edited April 25, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    Like CanonGuy, I would need more than one magazine saying the 60D has better low light iso performance than the D7000. the D7000 tests I've seen have been pretty danged amazing.

amazing ??

more than one ?

Canon 60D better ISO performance. AF and image quality and HD video !

http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/product/head-to-head-review-canon-eos-60d-vs-nikon-d7000?page=0%2C4
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    [QUOTE=Angela Nicholson
    ]The images direct from the 60D are marginally better than those from the D7000[/QUOTE]

I skimped though that review, just sounds like another online reviewer measure bating cameras.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    When considering lenses the D7000 can use lenses that were made for older systems and can be found at more reasonable prices. Makes it easier to buy then upgrade as you go along. There is a lot of older Nikkor glass out there that is great stuff.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    I was a canon owner(350D) and had the same dilemma.
    I ended up with D7000 because in India 60D and D7000 cost the same.
    edited April 26, 2011
    Unless there is something very specific you want in a camera or system. Both cameras will do just about anything you want. Remember, even 6 years ago professionals were making money off lesser cameras.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    The differences are much more apparent when you get more specialized, but honestly the D7000 is a hands-down better camera for ME.

Just a few items:

Misc. features:
    * Dual card slots
    * The awesome Nikon "Joypad" (No less-than-awesome joystick on the 60D)
    * AF Micro adjusting

For the adventure photographer:
    * Built-in intervalometer
    * Full compatibility with manual focus lenses

All in all, I'd take this added functionality any day as an outdoorsy type shooter, over slight benefits of image quality.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited April 30, 2011
    The differences are much more apparent when you get more specialized, but honestly the D7000 is a hands-down better camera for ME.

An intervalometer is OK, (my old S5 had that) but considering that the 60D has far superior ISO performance, AF auto focusing, image quality, HD video, etc. makes it the hands-down better camera for ME.
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/equipment/review/Canon_EOS_60D_review_12154.php
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    An intervalometer is OK, (my old S5 had that) but considering that the 60D has far superior ISO performance, AF auto focusing, image quality, HD video, etc. makes it the hands-down better camera for ME.
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/equipment/review/Canon_EOS_60D_review_12154.php

I'll take my D7000 high ISO results and put them up against any other crop-sensor camera. You set the parameters and we'll compare the images.
    edited April 30, 2011
    ROFLMAO. You totally forgot how 60D can make coffee too
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    You keep posting that link, but honestly I've shot with both the D7000 and the 7D, (same sensor as the 60D) ...and I gotta say I just can't notice the real-world differences in ISO, image quality, or AF. (Can't speak about video since I don't use it)

I am of course still glad that people are still buying Canon 60D's and 7D's, and I'm very glad it's working for you. I'm just here to encourage new buyers to also consider real-world needs and functionality, in addition to "lab tests"...

=Matt=
  • Unkl StuartUnkl Stuart Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2011
    I'm a Nikon shooter who recently bought the D7000 which I find lives up to all the claims. I'm happy with the low light performance and the focus. I have no experience with the 60D but have a feeling it is an excellent camera too. As stated above, it is important to realize you are buying into a system. Once you commit, you will have little time to research the other side. What do your friends use? If you buy the same equipment, you can go to them for help and trade.
    edited April 30, 2011
    Thanks.
    John

Based on today's technology, the Canon 60D has better image quality, ISO performance, AF (auto focusing) and HD video but the Nikon D7000 has a slightly faster FPS rate and higher price.
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Thanks.
    John

I've shot both, and ended up with the Nikon D7000. Both seem to be great cameras, and you can find a dozen lab tests that point to one or the other being the better system. For me it was about how the camera and controls felt in my hand. You'd be well served to have your daughter hold the camera herself and decide which feels best to her taste.

Both are "today's technology" and represent the best that both companies have to offer. For what it's worth, my good friend and long time Canon shooter switched systems and bought a D7000 after using mine for an afternoon. There is something about it that makes it refreshing and enjoyable to use.
    edited April 30, 2011
    . For what it's worth, my good friend and long time Canon shooter switched systems and bought a D7000 after using mine for an afternoon. There is something about it that makes it refreshing and enjoyable to use.

Funny, you go to a Canon forum like
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum
    and almost every day you read about a Nikon user that switches to Canon!
    sometimes it's price or lens selection, or image quality or just "grass is always greener on the other side"!
    edited April 30, 2011
    Based on today's technology, the Canon 60D has better image quality, ISO performance, AF (auto focusing) and HD video but the Nikon D7000 has a slightly faster FPS rate and higher price.

Dude, I get it: Pop Photo likes the 60D. And Amateur Photographer, and Photo Radar. The D7000 has a magnesium body, like the 50D, and an intervalometer. Sure, the S5 had one, but the 60D doesn't. The 60D doesn't have dual card slots or 6fps (60D has 5). Better AF? The D7000 has 39 points. Yes, that's 6 less than the 1D AF. Maybe it's not quite as fast as the 60D's but I bet in 99.9% of situations it isn't noticeable. The viewfinder is 100%. It should have a higher price! The D7000 has continuous AF in movie mode (I just called a clip of low-quality [but HD] video from a still camera a "movie"rolleyes1.gif). As for ISO performance, I'd have to see some real-life tests. Sorry, a magazine with a bunch of Canikon ads in it saying something without showing me, isn't going to convince me. Better IQ? Just because it has 2 more mp? Being able to print a photo 6 inches bigger (just an example; 14mp goes pretty big) means it has better IQ? Or are the pixels actually better? There's a difference.

Let's see... what [undesputable feature] does the 60D have? Uh... umm... oh yeah, the vari-angle LCD (to use Canon's term).

If you're trying to decide between the two cameras, I'd advise you not to listen to magazines or me or whoever else, but (as MileHighAko said) to actually hold the cameras in a store, or to rent them. See which you like better.
    edited April 30, 2011
    t noticeable. The viewfinder is 100%. It should have a higher price! The D7000 has continuous AF in movie mode (I just called a clip of low-quality [but HD] video from a still camera a "movie"rolleyes1.gif). As for ISO performance, I'd have to see some real-life tests.
    If you're trying to decide between the two cameras, I'd advise you not to listen to magazines or me or whoever else, but (as MileHighAko said) to actually hold the cameras in a store, or to rent them. See which you like better.

Dude, I get it!

edited April 30, 2011
    "If you’re trying to choose between the 60D and the D7000, as we said in the Nikon’s test, we give the edge to Canon. It has higher resolution, one stop better noise control (and more resolving power to sacrifice if you opt for heavier noise reduction), and can focus in dimmer light than the Nikon. Case closed"

http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/product/head-to-head-review-canon-eos-60d-vs-nikon-d7000?page=0%2C4
    edited April 30, 2011
    The magazines like the 60D. To each his own thumb.gif
    edited May 1, 2011

A lot of those reviews are based on the camera's default settings. So when I read that one focuses better in low light or has better color or what ever, I have to take with a grain of salt. Imagine both cameras AF set to "Auto auto". In this case, from my experience, Nikons is just plain dumb. It requires more input from the user, i.e. the user must use single point or dynamic area AF in low light.
    As for color, the 60D and D7000 are aimed at enthusiast, you know, the kind of people who want to learn. In that case, must of these people will move on to post processing too. We have to ask at this point. Is Color, contrast, and noise reduction from the camera even relevant at this point?
    As I have said before, both cameras are well beyond what you need for most types of photography. Unless you need something specifically that the camera or system has. I say pick what ever your heart desires. A good example is, the D700 is a full frame camera, with a great AF system and low noise. and easy to work with even with gloves on. So, Nikon is the way to go for me.
    edited May 1, 2011
    "If you’re trying to choose between the 60D and the D7000, as we said in the Nikon’s test, we give the edge to Canon. It has higher resolution, one stop better noise control (and more resolving power to sacrifice if you opt for heavier noise reduction), and can focus in dimmer light than the Nikon. Case closed"

Both cameras are flippin' awesome, a hundred times better than the first $5,000 "professional" DSLR's, and if you feel "held back" by either camera as a beginning hobbyist, it's probably NOT the camera's fault. I could shoot almost ANY professional job entirely on either camera, if I had to. CASE CLOSED. PU-LEEEASE!
    edited May 1, 2011
    Both cameras are flippin' awesome, a hundred times better than the first $5,000 "professional" DSLR's, and if you feel "held back" by either camera as a beginning hobbyist, it's probably NOT the camera's fault. I could shoot almost ANY professional job entirely on either camera, if I had to. CASE CLOSED. PU-LEEEASE!

I am beginning to believe that the "hobbyists" are just spoiled by marketing and the internets these days.
    :cry

I recently met someone that says his dad is buying him a Canon 1D4, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, 24-70mm.... For his first camera! and he's................ only 15 years old!

I want to believe he's talking out of his ass, but somehow I believe him.
    edited May 1, 2011

I totally disagree with you. The 60D as 0.9855455 stop better noise reduction, and not 1.00000 stop noise reduction.
    Also as for dimmer light, can it focus in the light of the sun seen on a planet 1 AU away. If not, can you tell me how many AU can you be from the sun(max number for 60D to focus).
    As for the "case closed".
    Is it district court, state court or supreme court, or international court of justice. Or is it Kangaroo court(not Australian).
    As for photo radar, do they sell photo radars. Are they good for taking photos?
    edited May 1, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    I am beginning to believe that the "hobbyists" are just spoiled by marketing and the internets these days.

I recently met someone that says his dad is buying him a Canon 1D4, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, 24-70mm.... For his first camera! and he's................ only 15 years old!

Today I encountered a person who used only an iPhone for a camera. No Canon, no Nikon, not even a Pentax.
    It is true, we live in a crazy world.
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »

I had to think about this for a day or so, but don't really understand it. Why is it a problem that a 15yr old gets a really good and expensive camera? Is it because he would be a better photog if he starts with a lesser camera? Or is it just because his daddy has more money? Or is it that the pro's really credit more to their gear than they think, and feel uncomfortable when hobbyists start buying "their" pro camera's? rolleyes1.gif

One thing is for sure: I wouldn't have mind to get this level camera when I was 15 rolleyes1.gif

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here