My boy (First attempt at Portrait)C&C Please.

JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
edited April 26, 2011 in People
This is my attempt at a portrait shoot with my son in my low budget studio. A lamp and a desk light with 100W Daylight Fluorescent lights. Your thoughts on how I can improve are welcome.

biz_1854_099-L.jpg

biz_1876_112b-L.jpg

biz_1877a-L.jpg

Thanks.

Comments

• racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    i like number one, two would be better if the light wasnt so bright on his face and the same with number three. but im no portrait photographer by any means...overall very good first attempt. i would try putting somthing over the light to tone it down a little just my thought, im sure some one who knows better will chim in.
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I agree with racefan's comments...the first shot works for me..and the other 2 just don't,.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • johnbrinerjohnbriner Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I have to concur with racefan as well. The first shot is a good one. However, the subsequent two are very bright on the face. But, overall, these are actually good for a first attempt.
  • JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the fine comments. I agree that the light is a bit bright on 2 and 3 so I reprocessed these attempting to tone down the light.

a-XL.jpg
    bb-XL.jpg
    I think these work better as far as skin tone and brightness goes but I think they have lost a bit of the edge that I liked in the first ones. I think in the future I will adjust my sweet light setup(move the lamp back a bit) so the subject will not be so bright.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    :D
    Jabfinger wrote: »
    I think in the future I will adjust my sweet light setup(move the lamp back a bit) so the subject will not be so bright.

Ummm . . . you may want to rethink that idea. If you move your light, it will get harder and harder as you move it back. The closer your light is to your subject, the softer it will appear due to its apparent size. The larger the light, the softer.

Oh, I like the first two (the second as you revised it.) The third does nothing for me. I have to see the eyes, or a portrait does not engage me. Just me :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Icebear,
    Thank you for the gentle slap upside my head. That is exactly what I need to get more from my photography. racefan suggested placing something over the light to tone it down and I think for now I will pursue that. I think a diffuser of some sort between the subject and the light would help. Hmmm...maybe I'll just throw the ol lamp shade back on an see how that works.