Album Cover

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited April 27, 2011 in People
mab.JPG

My first band shoot. Just going through the shots now, got excited about this one. More later if anyone's interested.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I think it's a pretty cool shot but it needs more drama .. especially for a cover photo ... I'd definitely go a bit crazier with the processing thumb.gif
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Thanks. This is straight out of the camera. Let's say I'm a better photographer than photoshopper! Got any ideas for processing? I agree it should be more dramatic, like HDR, but I don't know how to do that and I didn't take multiple exposures.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    I agree with A re processing. Do you use LR? If so LOADS of free presets out there to play with that may start you off on an "edgier" look for it with some pseudo cross-processing effects, lomo effects, hdr-ish effects - lots to choose from. Presets Heaven is one of my favorite places to start looking, but many other sites out there.
    edited April 26, 2011
    I don't have LR, but CS5. Got any recommendations?
    -Jack

• TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Look up TOTALLY RAD actions thumb.gif
    Canon Fan
  • Jeremy_22Jeremy_22 Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    The problem I am reading in some of the responses is "fix it in Photoshop". Simply put, that is not a recipe for success.

The remedy should be, get it right in camera, use Lightroom/Photoshop/etc to enhance the final product.

To me, the image could have been shot much better. The first thing that stands out is the back guy in the middle is clearly OOF. Also, the exposures are not even across the subjects. The back guy is underexposed, front guy very side lit (which isn't necessarily bad) and then the other two are somewhere in between. With the front guy being very side lit and the others appearing more front lit - it doesn't produce harmony in the image. The scene doesn't really work for me and the horizon is running thru their heads.

Groups are tough, no doubt. Many times, when you are spreading the group out like you did here, you may have to light each person separately. Also, make sure you're using a long enough DOF to get them in focus. It also helps to understand when selecting who to focus on, you have twice as much in focus room behind your focal point as you do in front of it. For example, if I'm photographing a group of 5 rows, I'm always focusing on someone in row 2, not row 3.

There needs to be more drama in the lighting. Edge lights behind and to the sides of your group would have gone along way to create depth/dimension as well as drama.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    All great advice, but if you can't re-shoot or don't have tons of lighting, Topaz Adjust could give this an edge, also. It won't fix the depth of field issue, but it might help to distract from it a little.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Who's choosing the album art? Before you do a lot of work, you might find out what they want. I like the shot too. Has a sixties look to me (and I was there.)

You couldn't have created a tougher grouping for focus if you'd tried. Assuming you focused on the guy on camera left, and he was eight feet from the camera, at f/5.6 you had less than 3 feet of DOF to work with. No way were you goiong to ge able to get the rearmost guys anywhere close to sharp.

It's water over the dam at this point, but for a group like this, I'd have boosted my ISO so I could have shot at f/11.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    To me the biggest issue is the lighting. It is likely an artifact of this, but it seems like the guy with the guitar is the only one not looking at the camera. As he seems to be the key person in the band, it seems wrong that he's the only one who doesn't seem to be engaging the viewer.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    I'd put a dab of light om the guy with the beard and maybe try some harsh sharping, which cannot be done in camera using RAW. Try deviant art for free actions for CS5. Good start here !!! thumb.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited April 27, 2011
    Actually if you could see it full size, the guy in front is looking at the camera. I think it looks that way anyway, but I can see how one might not. The DOF was chosen on purpose, because the name of the band is like "The Joe Smith Band" (name changed to protect the innocent) and that's Joe at the front with the axe. Also at the size of a CD cover, I don't think it will be an issue. Poster, maybe. I've since burned the faces of the two rear guys some more in post.

The band is choosing the album art. The location was their choice too as it has childhood significance for them. I liked it, and it provided at least 4 good distinct scenes.

Yeah, the image could have been shot better, but hindsight is 20/20. It's different when you're on the scene and it's raining. We were rushed to get through the shoot before everyone looked like drowned rats.

Here are some more examples from the session:

img_6236v-XL.jpg

img_6236bwv-XL.jpg

img_6200bwv-XL.jpg

img_6260_instant-XL.jpg

img_6268-XL.jpg

img_6266-XL.jpg

img_6292-XL.jpg

img_6292bwv-XL.jpg

image-XL.jpg
    -Jack

edited April 27, 2011
    Actually if you could see it full size, the guy in front is looking at the camera. I think it looks that way anyway, but I can see how one might not. The DOF was chosen on purpose, because the name of the band is like "The Joe Smith Band" (name changed to protect the innocent) and that's Joe at the front with the axe. Also at the size of a CD cover, I don't think it will be an issue. Poster, maybe. I've since burned the faces of the two rear guys some more in post.

The band is choosing the album art. The location was their choice too as it has childhood significance for them. I liked it, and it provided at least 4 good distinct scenes.

Yeah, the image could have been shot better, but hindsight is 20/20. It's different when you're on the scene and it's raining. We were rushed to get through the shoot before everyone looked like drowned rats.

If the DOF was selected on purpose for the others to not be in focus - then it should have been shallower. As is, the front man is in focus, the next 2 are very close to in focus and the back guy is OOF. It doesn't work.

The location isn't the problem, it's the composition selected.

Many of us have been on the scene of a job when conditions were not ideal. We've photographed more than once in the rain - makes it even more important to know your gear, understanding the exposure triangle, etc.

I won't critique further as instead of taking an opportunity to learn, I read excuses as to why the image fell significantly short.
    edited April 27, 2011
    It doesn't work.

Your opinion has been noted. It is not shared by the band.
    I won't critique further as instead of taking an opportunity to learn, I read excuses as to why the image fell significantly short.

I won't respond further as instead of taking an opportunity to be helpful, I read assertions of superiority.
    -Jack

edited April 27, 2011
    This is why many professionals won't take the time to offer a real, solid critique. It turns into hurt feeling and mud slinging. The intent was to provide feedback so you could re-shoot and use these things on the next job. If you can find a line in which I said anything inaccurate or rude, I'd be happy to rectify it.
    edited April 27, 2011
    I take exception to people submitting opinions as facts. You said the image doesn't work. The band thinks it does. As for some of the "excuses", I was responding to questions asked by others. Maybe I should have quoted them. Sure, the rain was an excuse, but I think a fairly valid one. I admit I'm not a good enough photographer to nail a shot on the first try in the rain. Sounds like you are, congrats. I also admit I don't have the balls to ask 4 guys with busy schedules for a re-shoot an hour away from my home when they have already told me "great job".

I found your last line rude and the whole post comes off as non-constructive. Here's some constructive criticism for you - if you don't want reactions like mine, next time try typing things like "nice first effort. next time try (blank) it will work better to (blank)". There are ways to tell people how they can do better next time without putting them down with negativity.
    -Jack

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    mab.JPG

My first band shoot. Just going through the shots now, got excited about this one. More later if anyone's interested.

1st of all I expected to see a square format image......CD's like vinyl albums use a square format for the front cover and also for the back or inserts, sometimes a rectangular is used for inserts especially if it a foldout "poster".........this is how I would have liked to see it...also in the same size of the cover (4.75 X 4.75" approx ).......with exif attached ........

2- small flash is only making contact with 1 person.....needed fill flash for whole scene and subjects need to be not squinting....fans like to see the eyes......

3 before i do a shoot like this I study the albums of artists of similar genre to the one I will shoot and of similar look as to what aI want to convey to get an idea of lighting and such.....

this pic reminds me of an early to mid career Alabama cover......or a Charlie Daniels cover...just from the posing........It is hard to look at many band pix and tell what genre they are in, but that is ok......

What is the band's name? Just curious.........

Remember to think square and pose and shoot for square....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 27, 2011
    Thanks Art. 800x800 is square, yes? If it makes you think of Alabama or Charlie Daniels then that is good for this band.
    -Jack

edited April 27, 2011
    I take exception to people submitting opinions as facts. You said the image doesn't work. The band thinks it does. As for some of the "excuses", I was responding to questions asked by others. Maybe I should have quoted them. Sure, the rain was an excuse, but I think a fairly valid one. I admit I'm not a good enough photographer to nail a shot on the first try in the rain. Sounds like you are, congrats. I also admit I don't have the balls to ask 4 guys with busy schedules for a re-shoot an hour away from my home when they have already told me "great job".

I found your last line rude and the whole post comes off as non-constructive. Here's some constructive criticism for you - if you don't want reactions like mine, next time try typing things like "nice first effort. next time try (blank) it will work better to (blank)". There are ways to tell people how they can do better next time without putting them down with negativity.

My post was not negative and instead was full of constructive criticisms - you are reading it negatively because you don't like the feedback. Separate yourself from the emotional attachment to the image and look at it objectively. I struggle to do that myself, which is why when it comes to submitting images for print competition, certifications, etc - I always solicit opinions from my peers.

It's great the band liked it - but that does not make it a good album cover or portrait. When I was starting out, I shot images that fell way short and clients liked them. Didn't make them good.

Again, quote the lines from my original response that were inaccurate or rude.

Think I'm a big meany? Sit down with an art director, print competition judge or even a demanding client - I'll look like a decalwed kitten.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I really like the wet railroad tracks.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I think that the image is good, but not quite exciting enough for the people. At the moment the people blend into the background some. I think if you can process the sky a little different in the first one it would help to make the people stand out a little more. If you are going to have the band on the cover, you typically want them to be the popping item here they just kind of blend in.

I do think the composition overall is good, just needs something to separate them from the background.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact