Orange falling in water

PeacePeace Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited April 27, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
An orange falling in the water. Tricky shot. Took a lot of tries before I got it right. Check out my site for others.
Equipment Canon 60D | Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 | 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM| 100mm f/2.8 EF USM Macro |70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro| 430EX II
Sam Fowler | Photography

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Don't know how you did it, but I like it thumb.gif
  • ValerieJeanValerieJean Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Very cool! Would be a good spring-time ad for filtered water. All I can think of is "refreshing" when I see this.
    I never question what to do, it tells me what to do. The photographs make themselves with my help. ~Ruth Bernhard
  • Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I always like these shots. Nice and clear, the only thing I would do different is tighten the crop. But I like it.
    I'm going to have to attempt a falling fruit shot some day.
  • PeacePeace Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Thank you all. It was not easy. Took me about 200 or 300 tries. I had an aquarium and I filled it 1/2 way up. Had my squeegee for when I made a mistake and it splashed on the glass. Dropped it into the tank of water and pushed my shutter release and here you have it. This is after probably 200 or 300 tries. Very tedious but in the end...it was worth it.
    Equipment Canon 60D | Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 | 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM| 100mm f/2.8 EF USM Macro |70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro| 430EX II
    Sam Fowler | Photography
    edited April 27, 2011
    Peace wrote: »
    Thank you all. It was not easy. Took me about 200 or 300 tries. I had an aquarium and I filled it 1/2 way up. Had my squeegee for when I made a mistake and it splashed on the glass. Dropped it into the tank of water and pushed my shutter release and here you have it. This is after probably 200 or 300 tries. Very tedious but in the end...it was worth it.

A fish aquarium ... never would of thought you used that. I love it when people use what they have to produce such wonderful photos thumb.gif

Hmmmm....now I regret getting rid of our aquarium. Looks like I'll have to visit some thrift stores and give this a try :D

Thank you for sharing how you did this :D
  • PeacePeace Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    A fish aquarium ... never would of thought you used that. I love it when people use what they have to produce such wonderful photos thumb.gif

Hmmmm....now I regret getting rid of our aquarium. Looks like I'll have to visit some thrift stores and give this a try :D

Thank you for sharing how you did this :D

I am glad you liked the photo Dogdots. It really wasn't that tricky - just tedious. I had a white back drop as well and my flash was behind the aquarium pointed at the glass at the back of the aquarium and set at 1/200 of a sec. Thats why the white background appears. When the flash didn't go off - it would be a dark grayish back ground and that wasn't appealing to me. The flash would not work once or twice because I didn't give it enough time to recharge itself. Its important to have the flash behind the aquarium and pointing at the aquarium from behind. The flash was triggered wirelessly too. The flash gives it the white background. Good luck and hell if I can do it - you can do it!! clap.gif
    Sam Fowler | Photography
    edited April 27, 2011
    Peace wrote: »
    I am glad you liked the photo Dogdots. It really wasn't that tricky - just tedious. I had a white back drop as well and my flash was behind the aquarium pointed at the glass at the back of the aquarium and set at 1/200 of a sec. Thats why the white background appears. When the flash didn't go off - it would be a dark grayish back ground and that wasn't appealing to me. The flash would not work once or twice because I didn't give it enough time to recharge itself. Its important to have the flash behind the aquarium and pointing at the aquarium from behind. The flash was triggered wirelessly too. The flash gives it the white background. Good luck and hell if I can do it - you can do it!! clap.gif

Thanks again for the added info. I don't have a flash .. only the one on my camera, but I think I can rig something up.

Gonna work on this as soon as I get my aquarium :D I've seen photos of things dropping into water, but always thought it was out of my comfort zone. Now I'm thinking it isn't :D