Startrail :: Narrabri NSW

eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited May 1, 2011 in Landscapes
This is my third attempt at some star trails and rather than shooting south (southern hemisphere) I thought I would have a go at due west... there was some back burning which put some smoke in the sunset.

narb_st01-1-L.jpg

167 frames @ 30sec : ISO200 : f3.5 : 18mm.

I really need a wider lens for this sort of stuff, also I had to delete 2 frames where a vehicle came up and down the driveway :(
If you can't see the bright side of life...
POLISH THE DARK SIDE

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    167 frames for 30 seconds each? Why not longer bulb exposures with greatly reduced number of frames? The star trails look a bit choppy in some places.
  • OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    RogersDA wrote: »
    167 frames for 30 seconds each? Why not longer bulb exposures with greatly reduced number of frames? The star trails look a bit choppy in some places.

DSLR sensors get heat up over a long exposure and you start adding noise and possibly hot spots. The choppy look probably is from him deleting the 2 frames mentioned.

eMOJO I love this shot especially the fact that you included the oranges and red from the sunset. Look forward to seeing more.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    RogersDA wrote: »

Yep the "choppy" look is from removing two of the frames and at 30sec exposures I can lock the trigger on and go do something else... In the case of this shot I was partaking in Good Friday festivities, I came back after three hours and although the battery was flat on my return I had about 90mins of shots to stack.

As mentioned the reduced noise in a 30sec shot makes dealing with the final image so much easier + I'm using a 400D which doesn't handle noise all that well.

Cheers
    E
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

edited April 26, 2011
    Ohiohiker wrote: »
    eMOJO I love this shot especially the fact that you included the oranges and red from the sunset. Look forward to seeing more.
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Very creative! Nice work.

Thanks, I have been planning my next one... just need conditions to line up thumb.gif
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    It's a unique photo compared with most star trail shots. Very nice.
  • riverrat66riverrat66 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    eMOJO wrote: »
    This is my third attempt at some star trails and rather than shooting south (southern hemisphere) I thought I would have a go at due west... there was some back burning which put some smoke in the sunset.

narb_st01-1-L.jpg

167 frames @ 30sec : ISO200 : f3.5 : 18mm.

I really need a wider lens for this sort of stuff, also I had to delete 2 frames where a vehicle came up and down the driveway :(
    Very nice!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I actually like what the back burning has done, by adding a splash of morning clouds to the horizon. Nice job with the streaks, makes for a very beautiful image.
  • A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I love this shot. I'm not very experienced with software so do you stack all of these shots in photoshop or how do you put all 167 frames together? Do you set your camera in an mode that automatically takes the shots? I wanna give this a try!
    edited April 28, 2011
    I use some free software called startrails.de and for the workflow, I have adopted what can be found in this resource linked here

After stacking in the startrails software I then move the image into photoshop.

Cheers
    E
    A-1 Boss wrote: »
    I love this shot. I'm not very experienced with software so do you stack all of these shots in photoshop or how do you put all 167 frames together? Do you set your camera in an mode that automatically takes the shots? I wanna give this a try!
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    this is really a very unique shot, I love it. I assume the shorter exposures also made it easier to avoid blowing the highlights in the lighter parts of the horizon?
    edited April 28, 2011
    That's right, I actually didn't use the first 6 or so exposures because I felt they were too bright, not blown but just too much for this shot.
    Chris H wrote: »
    this is really a very unique shot, I love it. I assume the shorter exposures also made it easier to avoid blowing the highlights in the lighter parts of the horizon?
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• bigpixbigpix Registered Users Posts: 371 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Have not tried a star trail as yet but you have given me some inspiration..... nice capture
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    Lake Macquarie NSW Australia
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 1, 2011
    Being a big fan of star trail photography I really like this photo. The simplicity of composition with a couple of trees at the bottom, some sunset color and lines of star trails make it a winner in my book. thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com