2»

Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    49.5 MB/second

Much nicer than USB 2 at ~28 :D

28 minutes?
    I think my hard drive is the limiting factor.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Yes, RAID 0. Not sure about the USB 3 raid boxes yet, but e-SATA is more than enough for any mechanical drives. I get 90-120 constant and 120-150 burst speeds on a 2-drive e-SATA raid. It's fantastic for system backups and photo archives. Drobo is garbage. lol. Lacie makes some nice simple systems that work extremely well and have great cooling.

*edit* Did a 10 second google search. First thing that pops up:

http://www.amazon.com/INeo-2TB-I-NA309D-Pro-ST31000528AS/dp/B003V0ZKWY

Either interface will max out the HDD's so it's all a happy-go-lucky experience :D
    Yeah, honestly I'm a big fan of "manual redundancy", compared to automatic systems like the Drobo etc. I'd go for RAID 1, and that's about it. I'd rather buy two RAID 0 units and duplicate them myself on-demand, than have one slower unit that has a mind of it's own... But I digress. RAID 0 and USB 3.0 or eSATA is definitely in my workflow's future. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    28 minutes?
    I think my hard drive is the limiting factor.

28 megabytes a second

Yeah, honestly I'm a big fan of "manual redundancy", compared to automatic systems like the Drobo etc. I'd go for RAID 1, and that's about it. I'd rather buy two RAID 0 units and duplicate them myself on-demand, than have one slower unit that has a mind of it's own... But I digress. RAID 0 and USB 3.0 or eSATA is definitely in my workflow's future. :-)

=Matt=

RAID 0 really isn't a risk if you have enough backup sources to cover that risk. I have 3 full copies of my photo archive - one is on my OS drive, one is compressed within the external RAID in the backup system image, and a third is on a single 2.5" external USB/e-SATA drive. As long as there's three or more backup sources (one not being RAID) the RAID 0 paranoia shouldn't even be a concern for anyone. It's just $50-70 to get one extra hard drive that can hold it all!

Not to hijack - back to fred's topic haha