Too Much?

fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited April 27, 2011 in Landscapes
I am just trying to get my mind around Landscape photography. I have been enjoying more wide angle perspectives.

I would like to know if this is too much poetic license. I am trying to bring out the drama in the sky.

thanks, Jim

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Whether it's too much or not is a matter of taste and intent for the image. I'll say this though, If you're going to go that far with the sky, you need to do more with the foreground. Looks like you quit midway through your processing the way it is. It's a dramatic sky, fr sure.

Oh, and I'd crop a lot of the foreground out. The image cries for a panoramic format, IMO.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Yea, I agree. I probably have too much foreground given my subject is the sky.
  • lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I think the rule of thirds for landscapes is to pretty much line up the horizon with either the upper or lower third. In this case, lining it up with the lower third (cropping out some of the foreground) would work well.

As for the processing, it really does depend on what you're aiming for. It feels too dark to me, unless you're aiming for that sort of dark/dreary feel.

The amount of processing done on the clouds is certainly obvious, but it's a good dramatic look.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    @lanaer thanks for the comments. I cropped out some of the foreground and I like the result. I was not necessary looking for a dark / dreary impact, as much as a surreal look. I originally was interested in the drama of the sky, but found that the dichotomy of a somewhat natural ground and overly dramatic sky began to achieve a surreal effect I was looking for.

@zoomer, can you help me better understand when you say bled into ground area?

thanks all for the comments.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    thumb.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.