Options

Processing styles: A thought for conversation:

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited June 21, 2011 in Weddings
Actions... Presets... Processing...
I have seen several different takes on using processing in wedding photos and other sets. Lets chat about it and share where you fall, okay? :lust {I just love how dogmatic everyone gets about their point of view, haha. It makes me laugh.}

Some different thoughts I have heard from many photographers with great frequency:

1. Traditional is better. You don't want the processing to be the thing that dates a photo in 10 years. Stick to B & W, or full color with some pop. Where selective color went, texture and cross processing will be sure to follow. :andy

2. Keep the number of processing styles to an absolute maximum of 4 styles. You want some consistency in your set, before grandma starts twitching. :huh

3. Process the entire set with something fun and funky! Lets party! (Textures; Cross processing; desaturate with glow; supersaturate with glow... etc x 1,000,000) :ps

4. Within a set, use processing in a series of photos to convey "these go together". Use it to express when a story begins and a story ends....:rutt

5. I don't care what the processing looks like so long as the skin tones are somewhat right.:lol

6. I have changed my white balance in this set so many times my eyes are crossing. :fu

7. Selective color is out? What?:gone Doesn't really matter since the client just loooves it.

Comments

• Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    <--- Settling in with some popcorn to see what people have to say!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I'm with #2. But I been doing more black and whites these days.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    We fall into the traditional is better category. As far as processing photos, we do mostly dodge and burning via blending modes and masks. (is that confusing?). Screen Blending mode for dodging, and Multiply Blending mode for Burning. Other than that... not really into the whole processing thing.
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    The longer I do this the more traditional I get. Color and black and white..a texture here and there...one or two tilts in a set.
    For shots I like I may look at them with 5 or 6 different processing styles....then I wait a day and go back and look a them again...what looked cool the day before suddenly looks over the top and I usually pick color or black and white.

One saying I like is "the greatest hindrance to creativity is the fear that you may be wrong". So I go with what I like....no rules for me. Having said that I am working to be much more experimental and edgy on my portraits (a work in process)....much more so than on weddings.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    #5 and #6. :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    changes per wedding as I want it to suite the style of couple and the feel of the wedding. But as a rule, the more natural the better.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Yep, everybody goes through an initial phase or two, but in the long run they usually settle on a style that is either as timeless as possible, OR they make a business decision to simply offer whatever is the hot item.

Honestly, it's not just art it's also business, and if you've got a product that sells than go for it. That's a personal business decision.

Personally, I am indeed a fan of simple, clean processing. I do a few random "popular techniques" every now and then, just for fun, but I do keep it to a minimum.

I firmly believe that if an image has light, composition, timing and posing, then you shouldn't have to photoshop an image AT ALL for it to blow people away. At least, that is always my aspiration when clicking a shot.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    theprincereturnstheprincereturns Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I would go with #1. Although reading these make me realize i need to be carefull to keep the pictures consistent. I do more portrait work where there isn't as much of a story to tell, and i try to get several different looks so the client can pick which ones they like the best.
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I think this article is relevant here: http://thegoldensieve.com/high-and-low/. I thought it was a very interesting read.
    John
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    From the standpoint of creative processing, I do whatever happens to be floating my boat at the time. Images sometimes "scream out" for a certain type of processing in my mind. I try to use processing to encourage the emotion I see. For instance if a bride has a classic look in a certain image I may do an old timey type processing to encourage people seeing the image to get the same feelings that I am getting. When I started out I was just b&w and color. Then I found actions and went overboard for a little while, and now I am more modest in my processing and always try to compliment the image and not make the processing the first thing people see. Quite often less is more, but sometimes I hit something heavy to drive home an emotion or otherwise convey a message. When I have redundancy I will often do similar images in different processing styles so that the customer gets some variety. At the end of the day, probably 60% of my images come right out of camera raw and of the other 40% a good half of them are b&w and I get good response from the faded photograph/spit tone type processing I use (modified rad action "pool party"), but that is one style that doesn't fit just any old situation. A number of images get worked over in color and some get corrected with cloning or whatever. I do a lot of cropping and straightening, a basic sharpen and NR in raw. I try to correct white balance in every image individually. This is particularly important for me indoors because I wall bounce so often and walls are rarely white. I do almost -0- facial/skin retouching. If someone has a lot of acne or something I do, but I don't airbrush like a lot of you girls do. I like skin to look like skin, and if you are going to smooth out every pore in a brides face you may as well change her eye color from my standpoint. From front to back my photography is about showing people how beautiful they ARE, as opposed to trying to make people beautiful. Soft light, and directional light both go a long way in that regard as does patiently waiting for the moment.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes