serious play :-)

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited April 28, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
comments welcome :thumb

all single exposures, edited for exposure, contrast, b&w conversion and cleanup only, no cloning or tricks

1 Twister (creation of vortex composition with motion blur, stopping motion blur with flash, b&w conversion)

i-c2hWCkg-X3.jpg

2 In Two Places at Once - Square (creation of pattern of repeated rhomboids and parts of rhomboids with motion blur, stopping motion blur with flash, b&w conversion)

i-jxw6h6m-X2.jpg

3 Leap into Space - a Space Odyssey (light painting, stopping action with flash, b&w conversion)

i-ZZFZC8D-X2.jpg

4. Spring in Space (flower) (light painting, stopping action with flash, b&w conversion)

i-68j53rT-X2.jpg

Canon 40D, 14mm f2.8L & 35mm f1.4L, 580EXII, Phottix Strato triggers

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 27, 2011
    Nice creative work, Neil. clap.gif #1 is my favorite. #2 reminds me of my desk. lol3.gif The light painting ones are good--I like the ribbed quality of the light trails. The composition of #3 is excellent but I'm not so sure about #4. I wonder if these would have worked better if the flashlight had been inline with the trails rather than perpendicular to them. Dunno.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice creative work, Neil. clap.gif #1 is my favorite. #2 reminds me of my desk. lol3.gif The light painting ones are good--I like the ribbed quality of the light trails. The composition of #3 is excellent but I'm not so sure about #4. I wonder if these would have worked better if the flashlight had been inline with the trails rather than perpendicular to them. Dunno.

Hi R! Thanks for your kind comments and suggestions!

Here is a closeup crop of the centre of #1. It's a nice experience to let yourself freefall into the vortex and discover more and more detail and texture as you go!

In ##3,4 the torch was travelling through the air, and it was challenging enough to fling it out of my hand and keep it within DOF and in the target area of the flash, as I was manually firing the flash after the toss. Given enough practice I might have been able to get the torch to orient itself while in the air any direction I chose!:D A possible problem with the beam facing the trail might have been that the light would have blown out on the sensor in that spot, if the torch was near the top of its trajectory, obscuring the closest part of the trail, and the light trail might have continued to be seen as the torch fell, before the shutter closed. On the other hand, some unexpected and interesting effects might have been produced, which is your point of course!thumb.gif

i-qQWHbHZ-X3.jpg

Neil

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Very interesting work, Neil. It's great to see folks stretch their visions and production capabilities. I'm not sure exactly why, but the first two shots make me think of Rod Serling's " The Twilight Zone ".

I hope you're doing well, my friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 27, 2011
    Very interesting work, Neil. It's great to see folks stretch their visions and production capabilities. I'm not sure exactly why, but the first two shots make me think of Rod Serling's " The Twilight Zone ".

I hope you're doing well, my friend.

Tom

Yeah! I can see that!

Great to hear from you Tom, thanks!

Funny signature!

Neil

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Your first 2 photos sure made me feel like I'd been playing and just stepped off the merry-go-round rolleyes1.gif

Very creative indeed thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I spent some time looking though the first photo and realized it's the top of your desk. When I first looked at it I really thought it was looking down a spiral staircase. Fooled me.

Did you just move your lens to get this effect .. shake your camera some?

Flashlight photos are neat too. This is one of the better way's I've seen that process used.

Great work thumb.gif
    edited April 28, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Your first 2 photos sure made me feel like I'd been playing and just stepped off the merry-go-round rolleyes1.gif

Very creative indeed thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I spent some time looking though the first photo and realized it's the top of your desk. When I first looked at it I really thought it was looking down a spiral staircase. Fooled me.

Did you just move your lens to get this effect .. shake your camera some?

Flashlight photos are neat too. This is one of the better way's I've seen that process used.

Great work thumb.gif

Thanks very much Mary for the great feedback! I'm actually glad to hear that there was some uncertainty about what #1 is because the actual objects in it are really only the basis for a kind of visual experience.

Yeah, I stood on a stepladder a little above the desk, using 14mm lens, room light on, and rotated the camera. Shutter open for 8sec. During the exposure I manually fired flash, off camera and bounced, to freeze objects and make them emerge sharp from the blur and create detail and texture. I found it interesting to see the effect of firing flash more than once during the exposure at different times during the camera movement. In #2, there are two firings of the flash. The zigzags are just camera shake, and they have the interesting effect of "tying" the objects together which helps in the overall composition.

After all the trial shots I did for the torch shots - getting my hands and everything coordinated - I felt ready to go join the circus!:D

Best wishes.

Neil

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Thanks very much Mary for the great feedback! I'm actually glad to hear that there was some uncertainty about what #1 is because the actual objects in it are really only the basis for a kind of visual experience.

Yeah, I stood on a stepladder a little above the desk, using 14mm lens, room light on, and rotated the camera. Shutter open for 8sec. During the exposure I manually fired flash, off camera and bounced, to freeze objects and make them emerge sharp from the blur and create detail and texture. I found it interesting to see the effect of firing flash more than once during the exposure at different times during the camera movement. In #2, there are two firings of the flash. The zigzags are just camera shake, and they have the interesting effect of "tying" the objects together which helps in the overall composition.

After all the trial shots I did for the torch shots - getting my hands and everything coordinated - I felt ready to go join the circus!:D

Best wishes.

Neil

Thanks for letting me know how you did this. Neat :D I'm going to have to give it a try when I get an off camera flash.