Looking for advice please.

_mg_9120e-L.jpg
Date Taken: 2011-04-27 17:28:16
Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure Time: 0.004s (1/250)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 50mm (80mm in 35mm)
Flash: 580EXII camera left with Opteka SB-110 diffuser, 550EX camera right and behind with Opteka diffuser
Metering: spot
Exposure Program: manual

_mg_9114e-L.jpg

Date Taken: 2011-04-27 17:25:40
Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure Time: 0.0001s (1/8000)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 50mm (80mm in 35mm)
Flash: 580EXII camera left with Opteka SB-110 diffuser, 550EX camera right and behind with Opteka diffuser
Metering: spot
Exposure Program: manual

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I'm far from an expert, but I know what I like personally, so I'll weigh in here.

I'm not loving the light coming from camera rear right. Both of those subjects have great eyes and, to me at least, should be the showcase of the image. The "glowing ears" created by the light from behind pulls my attention away from what I think should be the focal point of the photograph.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    First off what a great subjects you've got there. I've got a soft spot for yougins with freckles. On #1 your kicker should not be more intense than your main. Your eye always travels to the brightest spot. Looking at his eye catchlights your main is just about in the right spot. You must be using a small light source or have your light back due to the sharp edge shadow. Get a larger diffuser or move the light in just out of the frame. That will soften the edge.

In both your kicker is causing problems due to brightness and how it is making the ear pop. No one wants to seem to have big ears. Just listen to the President!

In the second one your lowered you main light. You can again tell by the 9 o'clock catch lights and the angle of the nose shadow. Try to keep it around 11 o'clock.

Hope that helps.
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Thank you!

Yeah, I was using a 6" diffuser on my 580exii handheld. I really need to buy flash brackets for my umbrella stands.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I'm far from an expert, but I know what I like personally, so I'll weigh in here.

I'm not loving the light coming from camera rear right. Both of those subjects have great eyes and, to me at least, should be the showcase of the image. The "glowing ears" created by the light from behind pulls my attention away from what I think should be the focal point of the photograph.

+1 ... gotta watch those ears ... thumb.gif