ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited May 1, 2011 in Landscapes
lorne_2_5x1-L.jpg

a version that's toned down a little...
lorne_2_5x1-L.jpg

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I really like this composition and pano perspective, its a beautiful sunset for sure. I would be tempted to reduce the saturation a bit as the reds and blues look too intense. There should be plenty of color left to make this an outstanding shot. IMHO
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Gorgeous color - from deep rich red to cool blue. The little bit of reflection in the pools is nice.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Beautiful colors
  • ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments.

I've had a bit of feedback that the colors are too much, so I've re-visited the pp and toned it down a little - posted with original version above.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Great composition and good use of pano format. The colors are beautiful. I like the second version because it brings out a bit more detail in the foreground. Nicely done thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    I love the photo but do not prefer the toned-down version. We live on a boat and see these skies very often... they really are that red and saturated, which is why I don't like to see that changed.

Contrary to my wish to keep things as natural as possible as described above, I do not like the dark foreground either, and recently started experimenting with different techniques to deal with this issue (and I am a noob with all of these PP tools!)

If you look at the first/original version, you can see that the red & blue sky colors are reflected in the foreground. The desaturation takes much of that color away.

Forgive me for "playing" a bit with your photo but I couldn't stop myself... here, instead of toning it down, I compressed the tone a bit. Look at the colors that reveal themselves in the foreground! I overdid it here just to show my point. A little less compression combined with some masked brightening of the foreground would lead to a better image than the desaturated one... for my ever changing personal taste of course! :D
    lorne_2_5x1-l__-L.jpg
    ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Nice shot! Love the composition. Great light/colors. I prefer the first as the second feels just a bit flat to me. I've looked at this shot a few times but didn't want to comment until I had a chance to look at it on a calibrated monitor. The first really comes to life now. thumb.gif