Options

what email system do you use

ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited December 17, 2011 in The Big Picture
HI All I have just recently updated to windows 7 and they no longer support Outlook express as a email system .
What do most of you find helpful
windows 7 has a live email any comments, or suggestions
Thanks ran
Randall -FINE ART : FOR OFFICE AND HOME
branhamphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,918 moderator
    edited April 28, 2011
    I moved this to The Big Picture.

I use Gmail as my provider. I access it mostly through my Web browser, but I also have Thunderbird on my machine and periodically download stuff that I want to keep.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I only used web based stuff for my personal/photography related email. I can access them (hotmail, gmail, yahoo) all from my iPhone anywhere i might be.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Gmail as your best consolidator for web accounts. Have a gmail address, of course. But have a custom domain for your photo business - for me I have email to me at moonriverphotography.com and it all comes in through Gmail - which I can access via the web from anywhere, or my local client (Apple Mail, Thunderbird are excellent choices).
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    thunderbird for e-mail
    firefox for internet

[ windows7 64bit ]
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Gmail as your best consolidator for web accounts. Have a gmail address, of course. But have a custom domain for your photo business - for me I have email to me at moonriverphotography.com and it all comes in through Gmail - which I can access via the web from anywhere, or my local client (Apple Mail, Thunderbird are excellent choices).
    thanks Andy,

I have a website:branhamphoto.com but don't know how I could set up gmail acct using, as example, randallbranham@branhamphoto.com and have it go directly to my gmail account. Feel like a kindergartner here ;-)
    is there a simple step I'm missing?
    thanks
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    It depends who is hosting your domain and whether you take the free gmail or the pay package.

I use the free gmail. I use my domain hosting companies to receive and forward mail to gmail. I send mail from gmail and have the option to choose the url to send from. Google expresses this as sent from [my gmail account] on behalf of [my domain name email]. This was easy to set up using the gmail menus and mail forward options from the domain hosting providers.

To remove the "on behalf of" you need to go for the Google Premier account where you have them host your mail also on the incoming side. You'll have to tell your domain hosting company to point your domain email to gmail.

What I did was to switch to gmail free to see whether I liked it, then started forwarding mail and keeping originals with my hosting providers, now I have my hosting providers delete mails after forwarding because gmail has been so reliable. When I get round to it I'll upgrade to the Google Premier paid service.

I hope this helps. I find gmail excellent, plenty of space and fast response and service. The gmail client works nicely (much better than outlook express which I stopped using years ago) and I see no reason to switch this part.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    Thanks Goldenballs
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Just so you know (I'm not recommending it), Windows didn't just do away with Outlook Express. They replaced it with Windows Live Mail which is a free download (if it's not pre-installed on your system).

It's not as good as Thunderbird. It's not as good as Gmail on the web. But it's functional.

Now if I could find a Mac e-mail client that I'm satisfied with I'd be in high cotton. (I use Outlook on my PCs.)
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    I use my free gmail account, with the "@gmail.com" address, for personal use. For business, I use my 1 free email account that came with my domain name from GoDaddy. It's not as good as gmail, but it's @mysite.net, which is good. How'd you like it if you hired a photog and got an email from photography-business@gmail? Kinda like getting an email from SmugMug coming from "smugmug@gmail". Not professional (SM doesn't do that). It's professional to have "photography-business@mybusiness.com." So I use 2 accounts, one gmail for personal, friends/family, and one, which I have from GoDaddy, for business.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    Thanks everyone I appreciate your comeback.Randall
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Say what? Win7 doesn't support OUtlook?

I use Outlook with Win7 just fine, part of MS Office 2007.

Is Outlook Express something different than my Outlook?

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Outlook Express is the free/lite version of Outlook, and it used to ship as part of Windows, I think.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    lanaer wrote: »
    Outlook Express is the free/lite version of Outlook, and it used to ship as part of Windows, I think.

Correct, and it was phased out with Windows 7 and replaced with "Windows Live Mail." (I think even Vista had Windows Mail instead of OE, but I could be wrong.)
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Correct, and it was phased out with Windows 7 and replaced with "Windows Live Mail." (I think even Vista had Windows Mail instead of OE, but I could be wrong.)

Got it. I used Eudora for years (dear Lord, does anyone use that thing these days?), and when I switched to Outlook, the power and organizational tools blew my mind.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Thanks I have changed to win live and yahoo for now Thanks
    Randall
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    chipjchipj Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    ...For business, I use my 1 free email account that came with my domain name from GoDaddy. It's not as good as gmail, but it's @mysite.net, which is good.
    This is an excellent idea! I've used GoDaddy for years, and never realized that each registered domain came with one free email account. Thank you!

Just curious, why do you say that it's "not as good as gmail"? What specifically is not as good?
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    beat me to it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Import-messages-into-Windows-Mail-from-Outlook-Express

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Where-is-Outlook-Express
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    anim8tr wrote: »
    This is an excellent idea! I've used GoDaddy for years, and never realized that each registered domain came with one free email account. Thank you!

Just curious, why do you say that it's "not as good as gmail"? What specifically is not as good?

Oh, I just like gmail better... GoDaddy's system is totally functional and works fine, but gmail has a very good filter system which I'm not sure GoDaddy has. I like the general interface and a few features of gmail better, but if I had to use GoDaddy all the time I'd be fine. Godaddy does let you use Outlook (not sure if you can with gmail).

I actually got the idea from a sticky in one of the SM forums around here... that thread had a few other helpful tips:

Well, I can't seem to find it. Hmm.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Same... google a names (custom domain) you set it up on your domain side, then you can use mail.markdickinsonphotography.com (you can go there and see its through google) so all my mails go from mark@markdickinsonphotography.com Then set it up in Outlook 2007 or 2010. Both are pretty good.
  • Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    How do I do this?
    I use my free gmail account, with the "@gmail.com" address, for personal use. For business, I use my 1 free email account that came with my domain name from GoDaddy. It's not as good as gmail, but it's @mysite.net, which is good. How'd you like it if you hired a photog and got an email from photography-business@gmail? Kinda like getting an email from SmugMug coming from "smugmug@gmail". Not professional (SM doesn't do that). It's professional to have "photography-business@mybusiness.com." So I use 2 accounts, one gmail for personal, friends/family, and one, which I have from GoDaddy, for business.
    This is exactly what I want to do. I have a custom smugmug domain (at GoDaddy) randyjacksonimages.com. I want to have mail sent to:
    randy@randyjacksonimages.com and then forwarded to my real account. Oh, how do I also send email back to my customer with the correct email account. I'm so confused. I also just sent in a ticket to SmugMug heros.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    Well somewhere you have purchased the domain, at that location that you purchased it, activate your email, and set up an account or go to google.com and get their Google aps for domain, its free. Set up your records on your domain side so that you can activate your email system. I would go with google.com's a domains

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

try that and read the setups its pretty easy.
  • Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    I got it!
    Well somewhere you have purchased the domain, at that location that you purchased it, activate your email, and set up an account or go to google.com and get their Google aps for domain, its free. Set up your records on your domain side so that you can activate your email system. I would go with google.com's a domains

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

try that and read the setups its pretty easy.
    Thanks to all of you. I did go to GoDaddy and they walked me right through it. It seems that you get one email account with a customer SmugMug domain (and that's all I need at the present time). They helped me set it up and now I can receive and reply to email to randy(@symbol)randyjacksonimage[dot]com.

Very cool. Now if I can just figure out how to configure Mail Chimp.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    Oh, I just like gmail better... GoDaddy's system is totally functional and works fine, but gmail has a very good filter system which I'm not sure GoDaddy has. I like the general interface and a few features of gmail better, but if I had to use GoDaddy all the time I'd be fine. Godaddy does let you use Outlook (not sure if you can with gmail).

I actually got the idea from a sticky in one of the SM forums around here... that thread had a few other helpful tips:

Well, I can't seem to find it. Hmm.

I have NEVER had one piece of spam come thru my Godaddy email....none.......so i think they have a fantastic filtering system........all of my email (all of my hotmails (5 accts), yahoo's2 accts), lycos'(3 accts), GoDaddy (5 accts) and email.com (2 accts) emails are flowing thru Thunderbird from Mozilla ..........and for me Thunderbird is much easier to use than Outlook / Outlook Express ever was...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2011
    Gmail as email consolidator

Andy, I've noticed you can do this 2 ways, either through a regular gmail account by adding email accounts & custom from fields or via a google apps account & setting it up in the godaddy records... Which way do you use &/or recommend? Also I'm waiting for my new mac to arrive & wondering which browsers I should use? I used IE or chrome + firefox (for web development) when I was on a pc but clueless which is best to use on the macs?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    will google apps free domain gmail bust custom domains?
    Cindy wrote: »
    Andy, I've noticed you can do this 2 ways, either through a regular gmail account by adding email accounts & custom from fields or via a google apps account & setting it up in the godaddy records... Which way do you use &/or recommend? Also I'm waiting for my new mac to arrive & wondering which browsers I should use? I used IE or chrome + firefox (for web development) when I was on a pc but clueless which is best to use on the macs?

Anyone??? I know lots of you use custom domain names for your gmail... so which way is best?
    Will setting up the custom domain for gmail in free google apps bust my custom domain site through smugmug? Or would I be better off just using a custom from field in gmails personal accounts? Hopefully DocWalker will see this & know.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    Cindy wrote: »
    Anyone??? I know lots of you use custom domain names for your gmail... so which way is best?
    Will setting up the custom domain for gmail in free google apps bust my custom domain site through smugmug? Or would I be better off just using a custom from field in gmails personal accounts? Hopefully DocWalker will see this & know.

How should it do this? I use email records via godaddy on my custom domain. And a CNAME record through godaddy for SmugMug. Email is separate from CNAMEs so go for it.
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    I don't have windows 7 but when I upgraded to Vista they too don't support Outlook Express. Vista uses a program called Windows Mail which is very similar in operation. I used that for a while but have recently upgraded to outlook 2007. If you are looking for a free version Windows Mail works great.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.873817,-79.064448
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    How should it do this? I use email records via godaddy on my custom domain. And a CNAME record through godaddy for SmugMug. Email is separate from CNAMEs so go for it.

Thanks Andy. I'm working getting it all set up via the free google apps account now. Mx, Cname... yikes my head is spinning but I think I'm really actually doing this and hopefully without any major mistakes :-)