Any other Photoshop/digital post-processing book recommendations?

mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
edited October 2, 2005 in Finishing School
It does seem that the Margulis LAB book is popular. Is his earlier book (Professional Photoshop) still worthwhile? Not all technical books age well. Any other recommendations?

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Another popular one is Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers.

Just know that the LAB thing is new to a lot of us, so it's getting a lot of attention. It's great info, but certainly not the only book you should read on post-processing.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    I have 2 CS2 instructionals
    1st is a DVD (For your TV) 2 disk set Photoshop CS2 for beginners ISBN 0-321-37437-1 USA $39.99

2nd is Photoshop CS2 Bible Professional Edition "HARDCOVER" ISBN 0-7645-9595-4 yes it comes in softcover also!

Ok "HARDCOVER" big deal right? Well with it being marked 40% off and my 10% member card I got it 50% off $59.99!! Now where are you gonna get a current hardcover book for $30 NEW???:eek1

Both of these I got at the local Barnes and Noble book store.
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    I still love Professional Photoshop. The new book shows that Dan has radically rethought his workflow since the last edition of Professional Photoshop. Dan is planning a new (he says final) edition of Professional Photoshop for next year. That book will emphasize digital photography with a workflow that starts with raw conversion. It will be a must have.

So, why own the current version of Professional Photoshop? It has deep color theory which forms the background for the LAB book but which is not discussed there. The first chapter, for examples, discusses the goals of color correction in way that still opens my mind when I reread. He discusses the dectitive process of identifying color casts in the absence of any single impossible colors. He discusses how to make things look rounder by plate blending. There are techniques for holding details in deep shadows (for example) by non-obvious manipulation of the black channel in CMYK.

The best thing about Dan's books is not the recipes he teaches, but the thought processes behind them. Dan teaches you how to think about color correction in a way which will allow you to solve unforeseen problems.

One good thing about buying a Margulis book is that you are unlikely to outgrow it. And if you do, well, you'll be an applied color theory monster.
    If not now, when?