Options

Getty photographer Chris Hondros, March 14, 1970 – April 20, 2011

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
edited April 28, 2011 in The Big Picture
It was reported on April 20, 2011, that Chris Hondros had been fatally wounded in an RPG attack by government forces in Misrata while covering the 2011 Libyan civil war. Photojournalist Tim Hetherington was killed in the attack, which wounded two other photographers. A source said that the group was traveling with rebel fighters. According to The New York Times, Hondros died from his injuries as a result of severe brain trauma.

His web site image galleries:

http://www.chrishondros.com/images.htm

A statement from Getty Images CEO Jonathan Klein:

http://blog.gettyimages.com/2011/04/20/chris-hondros-friend-and-colleague/

"It is with a very heavy heart that I confirm the death of Chris Hondros, who died today of his injuries while covering events in Libya.

Chris never shied away from the front line and his work in Libya was no exception. He was one of the first photojournalists to join Getty Images when we set up our news business, becoming a staff photographer in 2001, and there is little doubt that he deserves much of the credit for all that we have achieved in this area.

Chris was an inspiration to me personally and to so many of his friends and colleagues. He will be sorely missed.

We are working to support his family and fiancèe as they receive this difficult news.

Chris was a renowned and highly awarded photojournalist who covered most of the world’s major conflicts since the late 1990s, including wars in Kosovo, Angola, Sierra Leone, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Kashmir, the West Bank, Iraq and Liberia. His work has appeared on the covers of magazines and he received dozens of awards, including multiple honors from World Press Photo, the International Pictures of the Year Competition, Visa Pour L’Image in France, and the John Faber award from the Overseas Press Club. In 2004, Chris was a Nominated Finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in Spot News Photography for his work in Liberia, and in 2006 he won the Robert Capa Gold Medal, war photography’s highest honor, for his work in Iraq. He also was named a 2007 “Hero of Photography” by American Photo magazine, and was a 2008 National Magazine Award finalist.

On a personal note, I have been fortunate to get to know Chris very well over the years. His talent, enthusiasm, passion and love of life makes it hard to imagine the world without him. Chris was a true hero in his dedication and commitment to bringing the important news and the stories of those less fortunate to us all — from far off places. He reminded us of our common humanity.

When he accompanied our colleague, photographer Joe Raedle, home from captivity in Libya a few weeks ago, he sat with me and told me in no uncertain terms that he had to cover the stories and take the pictures — so that the world could know what was really happening and could act to prevent more human suffering.

We know that many in our offices and in our community are devastated by this news. Chris, may your memory be eternal.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Klein, Getty Images Co-Founder and CEO
"
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums