Senior Pictures

iteach6giteach6g Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited May 7, 2011 in People
I took some shots for some senior pictures. First of all, I don't anyone horrified. I didn't get paid to do this. I'm just practicing, which I need a lot of! Anyway, I was constructive criticism I can grow on. I chose to shoot this day because it was supposed to be partially sunny (it wasn't) and it was also supposed to be approx. 60 degrees outside (it wasn't--poor girl). It was also windy that day, which didn't help. My thought is that I work on handling my camera first and then learn how to better edit my pictures. Otherwise, it’s just too overwhelming with how much I need to learn. I have Photoshop Elements 9 and I was wondering if there are any tricks I could use to smooth out her skin. Also, does anyone recommend different, more "user friendly," editing software for newbies? Please be honest. I'm a teacher in Illinois. I can take it. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1&quot;></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 alt="Description: 0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>AllieBricksandDaffodils3.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>AllieHeadShot.jpgAllieGoodBridge.jpg</o:p>

Comments

• du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum. I've found that doing exactly what you are doing is the best way to learn. Thanks for putting your stuff out there, and letting us help you improve.

I think you are right - get as much right "in camera" before you rely on PS or other PP software to fix your mistakes. PP can only enhance - it can't fix mistakes.

That having been said...

Your compositions are fine (from what I can see). I'm sure some more experienced photogs can nitpick. Avoid short sleeves, especially on the ladies. Short sleeves can distract from the face.

Now. Technically.

1) The more shade, the better. At all costs, work for even lighting on your subject. That usually means either cloudy day, or lots and lots of trees around. Sometimes it's finding buildings and being on the "dark side" so to speak - in the shade. This is usually something you have to work at - really hard. I usually have a few sheets of tag board or a window shade from my car - and I will ask Mom (or who ever is accompanying you) to block bright spots with it.

For example, this shot was taken on a very very bright day, but we had to scope out some shade...
    985501244_gjdqc-S-1.jpg

2) You have some white balance issues. Notice how the whites are not actually white, they are more blue. We'd say that the images are too "cool" - or they don't have enough yellow in them. Your camera has an AWB setting - Auto White Balance. Do not use it - unless you are shooting in RAW - and even then don't be afraid to set your own white balance. Oh- By the way - Shoot in RAW.

3) You have a lot of blown highlights. Fixing #1 will in this case eliminate the blown highlights. Actually, it's more of an exposure issue - because there are blown highlights, your camera is trying to compensate - and consequently the faces are dark. I'm not an expert on this stuff technically - but I do know that when you've got bright back-lighting, you need to either compensate with a reflector, or fill flash.

I hope that's helpful - even a little bit. I'm sure there are others who will be able to talk much more intelligently about these things.

Good luck - keep shooting!
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • iteach6giteach6g Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Thank you for the feedback. I just noticed the big typos in my post. I guess that what get for posting with a wiggly 16 month old on my lap while typing. :) Anyway, I did shoot RAW which I really like, especially since I'm still working on setting the right WB. I bought a grey card for that and need to still figure out how to use it. You mentioned that I have blown highlights in my shots. What is that? Also, you said you use tag board to block some of the light when you shoot outdoors. How do you do that without casting shadows? I'm really curious about this stuff. You gave me a lot of good information about finding good shade etc. I always wondered how professionals did outdoor shots that looked as if they were taken in full sun, yet their subjects didn't have the harsh shadows etc. I agree with what you said about her shirt. I also think she would have been better off wearing a richer color since she has fair skin. Many of the shots looked really washed out partly because of her white shirt against her fair skin. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks again for taking time to give me advice!<o:p></o:p>
    Shannon<o:p></o:p>
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    a blown highlight is area where it's so bright that details are lost, for example on the one photo the light is very bright on her shoulder and you can't see any details, it's just a big old white blob to say.

Morning and evenings work best for lighting and colors. As mentioned, shade is your friend with some fill light or a reflector to light up your model. If shooting in direct light, look at getting some diffusers to set up to soften the light.

A gray card can help with WB. Several ways to do it. Have the model hold it and take a pic and than you can use that photo to set your WB. In adobe camera raw, I can simple take my WB tool and click on the gray card the model is holding and it will set the color. If you change lighting, make sure to take a new pic with gray card. Shooting RAW is a must in my opinion, glad you are using RAW. Most of the time I am shooting without a gray card and adjusting in lightroom or adobe camera raw, no complaints yet.

Try to watch out for busy backgrounds or be able to bokeh the background to get that nice blurry background and making the model stand out. Another tip is don't crop at joints, looks like you did well with that. Good posture, but not stiff looking is another thing to watch.

I don't know elements. I love my photoshop with the action scripts and plugins. They do make some really nice programs out there for skin, like portraiture 2, but not sure if they make a plugin for elements.

Keep snapping, it's only way to learn.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Try to keep your subjects out of white shirts! Unless you have really nice light, and they are darker-skinned or have nice tans. You got nice expressions.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Not to much to say on the photos as I am just learning myself. I think they are good shots. Maybe the background is a little busy and there are a few blown highlights.
    Mostly I just wanted to comment on the feedback. This sight is great. I love how so many people are willing to help us new ones along. From the comments I have gotten
    from my posts they always give very helpful suggestions. This is is a perfect example. Just keep posting and you will be amazed what you can learn.
    Thanks everyone!!
  • iteach6giteach6g Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Ahh... Makes total sense. I think she would have been better off wearing a brighter color all together. I just read what John said and I've been thinking the same thing. She's too pale to be wearing white! :) I agree Brian. This site is great! I've gotten a lot of help and I'm always so greatful that those who have replied took the time to give me such great advice.
  • ValerieJeanValerieJean Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    I hope that's helpful - even a little bit. I'm sure there are others who will be able to talk much more intelligently about these things.

Good luck - keep shooting!
    d8[/QUOTE]

You spoke about that *very* intelligently, don't cut yourself so short. I know you were trying to not be rude/bossy, but you needn't apologize for stating your very -constructive- criticism. Especially when asked to.... You spoke that very well. Just saying
    I never question what to do, it tells me what to do. The photographs make themselves with my help. ~Ruth Bernhard
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    My first chance to get back to this thread!

You asked what a blown highlight was, and Wolf explained it quite well. I thought I'd point out on your picture where the blown highlights are. Check out the attachment. You probably have figured it out already, but, eh... Live dangerously, right!?!
    Also, you said you use tag board to block some of the light when you shoot outdoors. How do you do that without casting shadows?

Actually, the point IS to cast a shadow. :) If I absolutely had to use that location (and it's a nice location), I would try to find some way to put someone with a tagboard or something to get rid of those harsh spots of sun. I want even lighting on every part of my subject.

This stuff is not easy. I have a friend who has been shooting professionally for 35+ years now, and when I have a shoot that I like a lot, and think I did really well with, I take it to him and have him rip it apart for me. There are usually a TON of things that I did wrong. Then, I post them here, and the kind folks at Grin rip it apart even more. It's so easy to go from something I feel really good about - to feeling beat up about it. Point being, keep shooting and keep asking questions. You WILL get better!
    You spoke about that *very* intelligently, don't cut yourself so short. I know you were trying to not be rude/bossy, but you needn't apologize for stating your very -constructive- criticism. Especially when asked to.... You spoke that very well. Just saying

Thanks for that!
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff