Options

Dreams & Imagination - Need help choosing

SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited April 30, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
After being stumped for the past week and a half, inspiration came to me through my son David who told me he had a crazy dream about flying on our lawnmower.

So...does this work?

_mg_9161e1-XL.jpg

Or is this one better?

_mg_9161e2-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I love it. Great cap of his expression. Pure joy, similar to what he'd have had in the dream. Nice!!!
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I believe one of Ansel Adams' rules was that you can't overprocess anything involving flying lawnmowers.

Go with #1! :D
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    #1 gives off more of a dreams/imagination feel.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    #1 - pretty cool! It feels like it needs something though but I can't figure out what that is.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited April 29, 2011
    I like it! The idea and execution are both quite unique as well. I have a slight preference for #2 or a blend of #1 and #2. but am clearly in the minority.
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    I like the idea of the blur in #1, gives more of a sensation of flying I just think it's too much. Also, I'm not sure I get it as it relates to the theme. Dreaming of something or doing something?
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    I'm not a huge fan of blur, but in this case - it cleans up the back yard without having to haul anything to the brush dump :D
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    I like it with motion blur. Maybe play with it a bit to see if less blur works better.

Does the photo speak the theme? I get that imagination and dreams come before action, but without the title and the story, I don't see imagination and dreams. I see a runaway mower. I suppose one answer to what came first could be, "The mower". headscratch.gif

In any case, I really like the photo. And it makes me smile. :D
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    I like the one with the blue it adds movement that I think is needed for the flying part.
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    I remember having many a flying dream as a kid! #1 works well. Though a little hard to look at him. Maybe desaturating the image a bit would make it easier to look at. This isn't Rust! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 30, 2011
    oh I see where this one could go...dreams or reality? I like the movement with the blur. I suggest a little less blur. Removing the pole above the boys head. Desaturate the background to make it look more of the dream (not many dream in vivid colors, rather muted color or black and white) then if this was my project, I would try and make the mower and boy coming out of the background. Using the bright color it is then start desaturating the boy about at the waist so seem like he is coming out of the dream. Anyway I think you have something here with a little more playing. For what its worth.

I love the fact that you put the boys shadow on the ground!