annual report from Keukenhof (Dutch tulip garden)

AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited April 29, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
This is the third year I've visited this particular flower garden since I've taken up photography. So I thought it might be interesting to see if I've made any progress.

first year 2009

524208623_UHst5-L.jpg

#1.
Canon 40D kit lens, f5 iso 200 1/250

verdict; missed the focus. The kit lens is 'soft'

second year 2010

859343794_TqWSb-L.jpg

#2.
Canon 40D 50mm f1.4 iso 200 1/5000

verdict; dark, could have used a longer shutter speed/higher iso. I remember thinking all my shallow DOF shots looked the same from this year.

third year 2011

_mg_1407_edited-L.jpg

#3.
Canon 40D 100mm f3.5 iso 100 1/125 custom picture style**

verdict; First I used the 50mm lens at f2 and moved the auto focus point off center and shot in the morning. Then in the afternoon I mounted the 100mm and shot mostly at f3.5.

report; I was surprised by the number of people shooting film this year. I saw lots of Sony and Canon cameras and noticed only one Nikon. When it started to rain in the early afternoon all the casual people must've have taken shelter inside because all that was left were (us) hardcore people squatting down low to get that cool upward angle shot.

I took the 50mm & 100mm lenses and thought I'd get the best shots with but in review the 100mms ones are nice too.

if you ever go, be sure to take the following;
  • extra batteries
  • extra memory cards
  • maybe a flash for the indoor parts
  • rain gear
  • comfortable shoes
  • wear old cloths in case you feel the need to lay down in the grass to get that 'special shot'
if you have a choice of days, a bright overcast day is best. In the afternoon the light became harsh and it was harder to get a good exposure.

**contrast +1 sharpness +3 saturation +2
My SmugMug Galleries
Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt