5d mark ii broken?

studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited May 19, 2011 in Cameras
Went to use my 5d2 this morning and it is behaving very strangely. When I press the shutter button the shutter sounds like it is doing maybe 1/2 second exposure rather than 1/200 it is set to. Also the iris stays reduced in size for a second or 2 before opening back up. No image gets recorded.:cry

I fear that it is a hardware problem, maybe circuit board, but maybe software, no idea tbh. Anybody had anything like this happen. Is there anything i should try before sending it to a repair shop? Already tried the obvious things like switching off/on and resetting the camera settings.

Got 2 weddings in next 2 days so glad I've got my 5d as backup.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 29, 2011
    Pull both batteries, the primary battery and the CMOS backup battery. Turn the camera on and leave it for at least 5 minutes. That should return everything to factory defaults.

Turn off the camera and put both batteries back in. Turn on the camera and see what happens.

You might also replace the CMOS battery while the old is out.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Pull both batteries, the primary battery and the CMOS backup battery. Turn the camera on and leave it for at least 5 minutes. That should return everything to factory defaults.

Turn off the camera and put both batteries back in. Turn on the camera and see what happens.

You might also replace the CMOS battery while the old is out.

Thanks Ziggy,

Tried that now, but unfortunately no luck. Is it worth trying a firmware update?
    edited April 29, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    Thanks Ziggy,

Tried that now, but unfortunately no luck. Is it worth trying a firmware update?

If the camera is responsive enough to allow completion of the firmware update, I suppose it is worth the risk. Understand that if the camera does not allow completion of the firmware update then the camera may become completely inoperable. There are even rumors of Canon repairs having a tough time recovering cameras in that condition.
    ziggy53
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Try cleaning the contacts from you lens and lens mount. Try a different lens?

Didn't you just get the 5D2?
    edited May 19, 2011
    Well, I got my camera back from Colchester Camera (an approved Canon repair centre) this morning. Turned out that it needed a new base plate, rear cover, main circuit board, DC PCB assembly, SI Screen, Focusing screen, TFT display window and base PCB assembly. Plus general service & Calibration. Glad I had insurance!

They did a great job with it and turned it round fast as I'm in the CPS Gold programme. Very pleased overall.
    edited May 19, 2011
    Congratulations. It should be almost like a new camera now. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    edited May 19, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Congratulations. It should be almost like a new camera now. clap.gif

Yes, I guess 40 weddings or so took a bit of a toll, thinking of sending the 5d off for a service as well now.