Options

How do I open Camera Raw in CS5?

Suzie OolaSuzie Oola Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 2, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi Guys. I'm new to this forum but I've been lurking for years. I always seem to find good answers around here.

This time, I did a search and was not able to find exactly what I was looking for.

Here's the problem: I shoot in RAW(.nef) and LR3 is the base of my workflow. If I need further editing options, I open CS5 from Lightroom. I would like to start using Camera Raw. I am fairly sure there is a way to have Camera Raw Open automatically when I edit in CS5 from lightroom but can't figure it out.

If I open the file directly in CS5, camera raw automatically opens.

I'm sure I am missing something obvious. But can you please answer me anyway.

Thanks, Suzie

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    lightroom is the same thing as Camera Raw
    i suggest to leave as it is
    if you really want Camera Raw , right-click on your RAW and open with CS5 , but its the same thing

->if you open from LR , its already processed , therefor it skips ACR and goes directly to CS5<-
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Ok. So, in your opinion, would you say that LR3 does the same thing and just as well as Camera Raw? I have no experience with it. I suppose I could just open a raw file directly into CS5 and determine that myself but still curious to hear opinions on this topic. Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    Nevermind, I looked it up... They do use the same processing engine but with slightly different features. I just thought I might be missing out on something by not using ACR.

Ok, problem solved. Thanks!
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    Lightroom and Camera Raw use the same processing engine. Camera Raw is almost identical to the Develop module in Lightroom.

You can sort of approximate what Lightroom does if you use Bridge to organize and preview, and Camera Raw to develop. But the process is so much more cumbersome that a lot of Photoshop users like me prefer to do their raw processing in Lightroom.

In Photoshop, Camera Raw is designed to work with Bridge as its organizer, like the "Library" module in Lightroom. When you select a raw in Bridge, you have the choice of opening it in Camera Raw in Bridge (without opening Photoshop), or opening it in Camera Raw inside Photoshop.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2011
    opening direct in CS5 give same result

better
    if LR and CS5 don't have the same version , you get a warning message

your current workflow is correct IMO
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Clarification may be in order for lurkers. ACR and LR are using the same processing IF they are on version parity. If you had LR 3 and CS4, no deal. LR3 and CS5, fine although both versions do undergo dates from time to time (like last week).
    When you invoke the Edit in Photoshop command in LR, its ACR that renders this data. If there is a missmatch, as Bas says, you’ll get a warning (in which case, use Export in LR to use the newer rendering engine).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2011
    arodney wrote: »
    If there is a missmatch, as Bas says, you’ll get a warning (in which case,.

in that case go to Adobe site
    there are new updates for both , LR and ACR , so they match again
    [ date 27-04-11 ]