Natures Rust

R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
edited May 2, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Hi, we have a tree over here in Western Australia called a 'Marri' which is the local Nyoongar word for 'blood'. This is because when the tree is damaged a red sap oozes out of the wound. In this instance the sap had dissolved in the rain and formed a gooey puddle at the base of the tree.

5674880255_7afb579114_b.jpg

Thanks for looking - C&C always appreciated.

Cheers, Richard.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Great capture, Richard. Very interesting play of colors and different materials. It's a keeper for sure.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    "Nyoongar" sent me to Wikipedia to get educated...:D:D Looks like that tree got a pretty good wound......You got a good abstract there......:Dgary
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    It looks kind of like the top of a Lasagna that's been cooked too long, to me.
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Great capture, Richard. Very interesting play of colors and different materials. It's a keeper for sure.thumb.gif

Tom

Hi Tom, thank you very much for your comment - glad you liked the shot. I think I got some very funny looks from people who saw me kneeling in the mud almost praying at the base of the tree :D.

Cheers, Richard.
    edited May 2, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    "Nyoongar" sent me to Wikipedia to get educated...:D:D Looks like that tree got a pretty good wound......You got a good abstract there......:Dgary

Hi Gary, hope Wiki was able to give you a bit more background. In this instance the 'wound' was only a tree borer getting under the bark - the sap (Gum) sealed it over pretty good. Glad you liked the shot.

Cheers, Richard.
    edited May 2, 2011
    kithylin wrote: »
    It looks kind of like the top of a Lasagna that's been cooked too long, to me.

I can see the similarity as well - including a bay leaf for added flavour !

Cheers, Richard.