Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Yes, I was wondering what our experts would be thinking. I hear he took a team of 5 along, spare equipment for the spares. A few weeks preparation, rehearsals on-site with models. Dread to think what he charged. I doubt he will be short of work for a few years.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    The price on a job line this could go both ways. True, you could probably charge a quarter-million and they wouldn't bat an eye, or at least 50-100K. (I guess I'm talking in USD though...)

On the other hand, imagine the LIFETIME of new work you would score, just by saying that you photographed the royal wedding. One might argue that photographing this type of event completely free-of-charge would be a good move.

But then again, to shoot it for free would require a huge investment on the part of the photographer, which would require that photographer to ALREADY be very well established. In which case they wouldn't necessarily need to offer their services for free, not in order to secure the job in the first place, NOR in an effort to score later success. So, we're back to tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. ;-)

Either way, I will NOT participate in any "knocking" or criticizing of the images, that's for darn sure, just considering how INSANELY high-pressure a situation like this would be. I think in a situation like this, clean, simple, and formal is the way to go.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Yes, there is a popular myth in UK that royals never pay for anything. The kudos of being the official photographer at an event like this would set you up for life.

Hugo did a slick job imo, although I hope they had a guy behind the scenes for the "real" family photos. I wonder who that was?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Lends new meaning to the expression, "formals" rolleyes1.gif

Must confess I do like all the reds - the dress uniform looks great in with all the rest!

ETA: According to his bio he's been a longstanding Tatler photographer so will have likely been regularly working in aristocratic society circles, although obviously not as high-profile as a direct-line-to-the-throne Royal wedding.
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    The formal shots are actually very clever, the way that they are both asymmetric and ordered at the same time, the comparison to his mother & father's wedding shots is quite striking!
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    I find their image much more visually appealing vs. the parents wedding. It has a beautiful light and overall glow to the image. The other one, while photographer tried to catch spontaneous moment, it looks somewhat odd, like D's veil is all bundled up to the left creating a mess, and just looking weird, they should have posted a comparable image if anything.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Reminds me of the dutch school of painting :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    The kids crack me up rolleyes1.gif Nice to see somebody else having troubles making all the kids look into the camera at the same time rolleyes1.gif

Can I point out one thing? Many photographers don't care about it, and I see it done wrong allll the time. See how straight the walls are in the background?? That's perfection!

As for the first pic ... it kinda annoys me that her dress isn't perfectly laying on the floor ... would be an easy fix in photoshop ... I don't know ... definitely bugs me, call me crazy + that leaning boy is kinda throwing me off balance, but ... I guess it's a kid :D

Thanks for sharing the link!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Did you guys see the post by the Big Picture yet?
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/04/the_royal_wedding.html
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    Did you guys see the post by the Big Picture yet?
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/04/the_royal_wedding.html

How pretty, love the entire set, what a great eye for the perfect moment! ... and ... on a side note ... holy smokes is that ring shot in focus, I bet the photographer had to be miles away when he took it .... Holy sharpness!