SuperMoto - A Go Go - In Reno!

maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
edited October 16, 2005 in Sports
Just got home...Reno NC, to Capitola CA in under 4 hours... weehoo!

A couple of outtakes for now (we have people coming over for dinner and I gotta get started on dinner too...). Walked way too much, got showered in way too much dirt (just like a good rodeo) and watching people on speed walk around is something else...

Aside from that my wife and I had a blast (she was helping me carry some of my gear this time)..

Oh, did I mention this was a blast? OMG. What a hoot!

mulrich_SuperM_Reno.jpg
::
knicoll_SuperM_Reno.jpg

Oh what a hoot.

Andrew :)
AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
Next Race - MotoGP Donington
:ivar

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 2, 2005
    This Supermoto thing is really starting to take off. And it's a riot to
    watch too.

Nice work Andrew thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Thanks Ian.

The thing is, there is quite the international flavour withthe riders too, being from countries all over the place.

Very cool, and it was well organised too.

• SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Eurosport show the supermoto races and they are great craicclap.gif , bikes sliding and skidding everywhere on the tarmac and then they go over jumps eek7.gif .

It's a great sport and I really hope it grows. As always, Andrew, your photography is immaculate thumb.gif .

Shay.
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Hi Andrew,
    #1 really shows the different style/technique of riding here. I love the clarity of your shots, well taken and PP'd. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Please let me know if you get a gallery up.

A hoot is an understatement. The venue was outstanding and from what others said, the track layout was superbclap.gif. Oh, and this being a FREE event doesn't hurt either. I was able to walk around the entire track a few times that day and capture shots from many different viewpoints (including a few from the parking garage).

What I really like is that the racers come from all the different motor sports. Not trying to hijack the thread, but here is a shot showing a superbiker technique (I assume by his style) vs the motocross technique.
    50120340.jpg

I find it interesting to see what other photogs get of the same event.

Looking forward to seeing more of you shots (so I can see what my shots could have looked like).

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    I WANT A MOTARD. ylsuper.gif

All these supermotard shots are killing me! rolleyes1.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
    edited October 3, 2005

Looking forward to seeing more of you shots (so I can see what my shots could have looked like).

Chris
    Chris, thanks for the kind words but, I have to say, your shots look like *your* shots, no *what they could be* in it.

We're all different, we all see things differently and if all our work looked the same I think it would be hellaboring. As an aside that shot of Aaron putting his knee down is cool - and both funny too - as someone who shoots all the AMA races you could see his mind "going, foot out or knee down, foot out or knee down AAAAAAAGH"

Anyways, here's a few more....

SuperM_Reno.jpg
    mburkhart_SuperM_Reno.jpg
    dbaffeleuf_SuperM_Reno.jpg
    carlson_gazzarrata_1_SuperM.jpg
    ayates1_SuperM_Reno.jpg
    knicoll2_SuperM_Reno.jpg
    sdrew1_SuperM_Reno.jpg

More later on - gotta start packing for OZ!

• mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Really nice tight shots..........................................Mereimage
    edited October 4, 2005
    Thanks Andrew for the few more. I agree, it would be boring. But I'm really liking the clarity and DOF you've got on your shots. Mind telling me what lens/s you used and what your preferred shutter setting is? I have a few lenses, but used my 100mm f2.8 macro because it's the sharpest lens I have. Many of my shots are full frame. Not the best sports lens when the action is right in front of you, but better than the kit lens (20D).

Enjoy OZ,
    Chris

• DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2005
    Hey!!! It's 4th street! That street is one that I pass when I go to class when I don't take the freeway. :)

Great shots btw, I was wondering what was going on there...
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
    edited October 6, 2005
    Chris,

I used a variety of lenses all day Saturday ranging from a 15-30, 24-70f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L, 300 f2.8L and I occasionally slapped a 1.4TC on the 300 as well.

Flash on some occasions too.

Shutter speeds ranged from 1/80 through 1/600, apertures from f4 through f13 (I think - I shoot both manual aperature and shutter - the "M" setting) and due too the dodgy nature of the light and shadows ISO ranged from 100 through 400

Thanks everyone!!

edited October 9, 2005
    In case someone needs something to look at over a coffee or a nice milky cup of tea with digestives, I have updated my site with some images from Reno....

renoSuperMoto2005_1010.jpg

Off to OZ soon, so stay tunes for some funky stuff!

• SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Enjoy Philip Island Andrew,

Shay
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 9, 2005
    Enjoy your trip Andrew! Looking forward to the result.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 10, 2005
    Just checked your site for the Reno SuperMoto. You have some really kicka$$ shots there. I have to work up some more of my own from the race. I got an unsolicited email from one of the racers who wants to purchase some shots that I got of him and his friend. Gotta figure out what I'm going to charge, but that's for another thread.

Cool shots,
    Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

• tcsphototcsphoto Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    In case someone needs something to look at over a coffee or a nice milky cup of tea with digestives, I have updated my site with some images from Reno....

Off to OZ soon, so stay tunes for some funky stuff!

Great shots as always. I like the variety of views. I can tell from your shots that I need more practice.
    Tom (tcsphoto)

I used to dream of all things Nikon, then I got the bill.
    http://www.sowdphotography.com/