edited May 4, 2011 in People
My high school son and his trombone.

20110501-asc_0034-2-L.jpg

20110501-asc_0016-L.jpg

20110501-asc_0019_pp-L.jpg

Comments

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    #1 is a little soft but I LOVE the shadow. Nice job.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Nice job.....I had to view this post....I'm a bone player. #1 is the main reason I get my shirts and jackets longer than normal.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    I'm having a deja vu moment here. headscratch.gifTrombone player, shadow on wall, Hackbone's comment. Like it all happened before. Anyway, these are very cool. #1 is my favorite.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. We're pretty proud of him. He had his final concert of the school year tonight, took my camera as usual and had a great time. Glenn Miller is one of his role models, so we're hanging the first picture of him next to one of Glenn in the same pose with shadow. It is deja vu, I know it's an overdone pose, but one everyone trombone player deserves to have. :)
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    If he is very interested in the trombone he ought to attend ETW ( http://www.usarmyband.com/trombone/ ) It is 3 days of nothing but trombone. Features jazz and serious trombonists from around the world and then a final concert with the Army Blues Jazz Band.
  • Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    I have a couple of issues with this photos:
    He's too stiff. There's no emotion to this photos, no drama. He doesn't look like he's playing it at all - he's just standing there holding the instrument... And the lighting, while nice, doesn't create any mood - even the first one, which is best by the way, does not have any punch to it. Too flat, too gray, no blackandwhites...
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    If he is very interested in the trombone he ought to attend ETW ( http://www.usarmyband.com/trombone/ ) It is 3 days of nothing but trombone. Features jazz and serious trombonists from around the world and then a final concert with the Army Blues Jazz Band.

Thanks for the link - sounds like a fun experience. He's pretty interested in it right now - next year he'll be doing jazz band and marching band and his schools honor band, so something like this would probably help jump start him for those activities. Thanks again.

Marcin Wuu wrote: »
    I have a couple of issues with this photos:
    He's too stiff. There's no emotion to this photos, no drama. He doesn't look like he's playing it at all - he's just standing there holding the instrument... And the lighting, while nice, doesn't create any mood - even the first one, which is best by the way, does not have any punch to it. Too flat, too gray, no blackandwhites...

You nailed one of the difficulties in photographing my son. He comes across very one dimensional. Of course his personality is just the opposite, but I haven't figured out how to pull it out of him in front of the camera. Still trying. Here is that same pose developed differently (trying to make it pop out), but still lacks in some real facial expression.

20110501-asc_0034-L.jpg

Alas, he's a freshman, so we have 3 more years to figure it out. :D
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    You nailed one of the difficulties in photographing my son. He comes across very one dimensional. Of course his personality is just the opposite, but I haven't figured out how to pull it out of him in front of the camera. Still trying. Here is that same pose developed differently (trying to make it pop out), but still lacks in some real facial expression.

Alas, he's a freshman, so we have 3 more years to figure it out. :D

As the father of a graduating senior, I can tell you that, at least in my case, it doesn't get any easier until the senior year. For some reason, confidence I think, he started to really feel comfortable with himself this year and it showed in some of the shots I took.

One thing you might try, this isn't for everyone, but it did work wonders for me several years ago when I was trying to get him to open up, when he is posed as you like, in a somewhat serious voice say, "OK, now I want you to say...(pause)... "boobies". Got the best picture ever of him with that one!

Of course I was referring to the bird that is sort of a cross between a penguin and a seagull.:D