Options

Help! What's going on here?

Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
edited May 18, 2011 in Technique
Can someone tell me why the dark trail is following this rider? I have several shots in this situation that have the same issue.
This is SOOC.
ISO 160
S-priority
1/250th
f/11
SB700 fired on camera

Thanks for your help!i-p8cjXXC-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Can you include a picture or a link to the picture?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    Can you include a picture or a link to the picture?
    Can you not see the photo? I can on my end.
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    almost looks like a hair or fuzz on the sensor.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    Thanks, I've blown it off and will see. I've shot against a white board and don't see anything.
    Funny, I didn't see it on photos before or after the few shots that it really showed on. Same lens etc.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Based on what I see, and your EXIF info, the trail is ambient blur, strange looking I'll admit, but ambient blur just the same.

Looking at the ambient light on the rider, and then seeing that your only trying/able to fill (especially at f/11 with an SB700), your flash is not even at the ambient level, much less 2~3 stops above it. So, your not able to "freeze" the motion with your flash. Now you have to take into account that you are trying to freeze your subjects movement completely with a 1/250 sec exposure on the ambient.

It's just not happening without blur.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    I dunno Randy. That wouldn't be my guess.
    When you shot your white board, did you shoot it at f/11? Course now that youv'e blown it off, we may never know. In any event, if you can't replicate it, get on down the road.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    I dunno Randy. That wouldn't be my guess.
    When you shot your white board, did you shoot it at f/11? Course now that youv'e blown it off, we may never know. In any event, if you can't replicate it, get on down the road.

Care to elaborate John?

You can't freeze action with flash, if your flash is below ambient level. (with regard to this scenario)

You can't freeze this type action at this distance with 1/250 sec ambient exposure, unless your very successful at panning.

I'm all ear.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Care to elaborate John?

I'm all ear.gif

First and easiest, if there HAD been a hair or eyelash on the sensor, it might not have shown up on a "white-board" shot if the aperture was wider open. The shot we're looking at was shot at f/11. Large debris tends to not be so persistent on the sensor anyway. Gravity always wins eventually.

What I think you're really after Randy is why I wouldn't have guessed the streak to be a result of blur. I've looked and looked at the image, and can't find the element that would have made a blurred bit like that. I know what you're talking about, have seen it in plenty of photos, but can't see it here. That's all. Shouldn't there have been more blurred stuff? And the streak is sooo long.
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    Here's some additional fuel on the fire-
    I'm thinking, but still not sure, that it was hair or debris due to the fact that in this photo it does not appear to come off of the athlete.
    i-c92PV8P-L.jpg

I shot yesterday and there was not any evidence of this happening though they were static situations, not action.
    Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    I think the wind blew a hair of Robert (if his hair is long enough) in front of the lens... or a hair that is/was clinging on the camera strap etc.

I have long hair and have had many of these with the wind behind me (looks exactly like this photo). Now and then I also find a loose hair that is being held in a clip of the camera strap eek7.gif

but the second photo is so similar... must have been between lens and sensor I think.

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »
    I think the wind blew a hair of Robert (if his hair is long enough) in front of the lens... or a hair that is/was clinging on the camera strap etc.

I have long hair and have had many of these with the wind behind me (looks exactly like this photo). Now and then I also find a loose hair that is being held in a clip of the camera strap eek7.gif

but the second photo is so similar... must have been between lens and sensor I think.

ciao!
    Nick.

Pretty funny-there is not a hair on my head!
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    I'm guessing you had not changed the lens between those two shots. It's possible that the last time you changed lenses a hair got in there. If it's long enough, it could be caught in the lens mount. When you remove the lens, poof, it's gone.
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    Z6I wrote: »
    Pretty funny-there is not a hair on my head!

:lol

Nick
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    I'm guessing you had not changed the lens between those two shots. It's possible that the last time you changed lenses a hair got in there. If it's long enough, it could be caught in the lens mount. When you remove the lens, poof, it's gone.

Exactly... the images are a match with those that got my hair in the way and I think it'll look the same when a hair is between the lens mount.

Why don't we try it? :D

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    OK, I found it. There was a hair (looked like my dog's) that was stuck to something just above the sensor. It must have been able to move at times because I hadn't seen it in shots for a while. It appeared again yesterday and I was able to grab it with tweezers without damaging anything.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    Hooray.
    John :