My room mate Steve.

Mike.GailMike.Gail Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited May 3, 2011 in People
He bought a tarantula.

Untouched, two small CFL bulbs (uncovered), shot hand held.

img_0515-X2.jpg

And a shot of the spider, same as the first one. This was farther away from the light, so I tried to shoot a mix of built in flash and ceiling fixture. I'm not happy with it, but it was very dark in the room so it's ok.

img_0523-X2.jpg

Comments

• kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    You don't have enough DOF in the first one.

These are pretty much just snapshots.
  • Mike.GailMike.Gail Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2011
    I might argue the "Just snapshots" comment, but you're pretty well right. The amount of light I had to work with was minimal at best, it was pretty well dark in the room, and these were on the fly.

I'd have loved to get more light on the subjects so I could bring the F-stop up some and get a bit more depth, but I just didn't have the time.

I'm planning on doing some digging around here and seeing about constructing a simple light box for stills and portrait type things. I've also go plans to make actual effort at shooting the spider to see what I can come up with.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Hmm... to me, it's less of a lighting issue and more of compositional or lack of creativeness issue that makes them "snapshotty" to me. I mean you do have a guy in tie, funky glasses and a tarantula. There has to be a million ways to come up with a really cool shot.

BTW, snapshotty is a real word.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site