One Door Closes, Another Door Opens ~ Ashley M.

JohnKokWithAdSLRJohnKokWithAdSLR Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited May 13, 2011 in People
This is Ashley, shes a pretty sporty gal =)

#1girlgigling.jpg

#2ashleysweetness.jpg

#3thepondereroftomorrow.jpg #4themaidenbytheshore.jpg

#5snowglow.jpg

Constructive C & C welcome

Sorry about the small pictures, got bigger ones here

Artistically Scientific Side of Things

Please allow me the opportunity to share about my actual experimental work.

As an artist, my work is about expressing a person’s character using impressions generated from photos and words and piecing them together to form a bigger picture.

Rather than on a per-picture basis, kindly consider my work through an overall point of view.

Full articles of my experimental series can be found here

I would really appreciate if you may take some of your time and give me feedback about them as it would aid me greatly in furthering my research

Thank you very much =)

Comments

• JohnKokWithAdSLRJohnKokWithAdSLR Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Experimental Concept

My artwork is about combining all of the impressions from of all of the photos of the model. In this set I have more than 30 photos, all displayed in a specific format arranged to simulate the layout of a Triptych (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptych) but modified to for website publish

Other words you must consider all 50 of these photos plus the words in my article about the model for it to work. Its sort of like a macro scale kind of thing.

My experiment is about being able to accurately express a person using this means.

Approach

I capture my subjects exactly as they are despite what she says about herself and what she does in the pictures

I minimize my influence and bias in the subject by providing minimal direction and art guidance, hence minimizing influence contamination.

Everything in the photos, everything in each word and sentence belongs to the subject and none of mine.

All of this raw data is completely up to the audience to process and interpret to their heart’s content =D

Telling me your interpretation will definitely help me a lot ! So please do =)

As for the background and place i choose, this sort of captures an element of fate to my work. Its like it is fate that we have to shoot at this place at this particular moment ( i hope i am making sense )
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Me thinks you are overthinking it :).
    I looked at your site. More variety would help to capture "her" better, as that seems to be your goal.
    For a while looking at your string of photos I though maybe the dog bumped into your tripod as she was falling out the right side of the frame in a lot of them in a row.
    I really like the photo of her with the sunglasses, that shot seems to capture her personality well.
    Very cute and accomplished young lady.
  • JohnKokWithAdSLRJohnKokWithAdSLR Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Me thinks you are overthinking it :).
    I looked at your site. More variety would help to capture "her" better, as that seems to be your goal.
    For a while looking at your string of photos I though maybe the dog bumped into your tripod as she was falling out the right side of the frame in a lot of them in a row.
    I really like the photo of her with the sunglasses, that shot seems to capture her personality well.
    Very cute and accomplished young lady.

Thank you, I shall work harder on my direction
  • Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Nice photos? absolutely. "Capturintg the person"? Hardly. It's just a photo session, no different to any fashion shoot, except being on a smaller scale... Shooting her in her place, different times, different situations... I don't know, perhaps spending a day with her, shooting... Like it is it tells nothing about her except what she says. And you can't really believe what someone says about himself. Even more so if it's "herself" we're talking about :)
    What you got is nice pictures from you and a bit of PR babble from her.
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    I agree with the others. You are thinking way tooooo much about this. These are not lifestyle shots as she is just there. These are not un-biased nor un-influenced by you because you are choosing camera settings and where you take the pics from. She knows you are taking pics of her so it isn't a natural response. You have lofty ideals that are just not practical in the real world. For your idea to work, you would have to be invisible and follow her around all day.

You shouldn't have a " artistically scientific" thesis about your style and approach. Your pics are all you need to show your style. When you don't have to think about your style and just be, that's when your art shines.
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    So she likes Nerf guns (which is cool), dancing, wants to learn to DJ and is an accomplished violinist. None of that is shown in any of these photos. Most of them are nice photos but I don't feel like they really show her personality or character, and just from looking at the photos, I didn't think anything unique or experimental was going on here. I think a shot of her pointing a nerf gun at the camera would be better than one of her staring off in to space. Or maybe put a cheap filter on your lens and stick a nerf dart to it, something like that.
    Also, one thing that bugs me is there's a several shots with about 95% of her head in the frame, with the top of her head cut off. Why not get her whole head in there?