Options

LR 3 JPG Resolution/quality issue

F1wannabF1wannab Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited May 5, 2011 in Finishing School
Ok Im a newby to LR3 and smugmug, but my 16MG images exported to smugmug through LR3 are not top quality exports. I use the plug in app have tried many settings for the JPG, but they still aren't sharp.
the size of the images are about 7-10 mg when exported.
The images look like those I see in library view, not Develop view. What am I doing wrong? AARG!!! :dunno

Comments

• Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Can you post a detailed description of what you are doing?

When you edit in LR, a history is created in the left panel. You should be exporting from the top of the history, or from whatever point has the edits you want. It sounds as though you might be exporting from the bottom of the stack. BTW, you don't need 100% quality for this size image. You can reduce it to 90% or less, get a much smaller file, and get the same appearance on the web.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    Its not the history. I have now tried exporting individual photos from the develope view with JPG 100% and with DNG. The DNG's are perfect and the jpg's are not.
    The jpg's have all of the color adjustments, but look low resolution, like they have been softened. when viewed at 100% size the edges are somewhat jagged, while the DNG's are perfect. The images start at 16.2 MG NEF from my nikon and the JPG's end up 7-9MG and the DNG's are 18MG
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Don’t need to export at 100%, see: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Something else is going on here if they look fugly.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    The software says I have LR3.3 camera raw 6.3. I have it installed on two machines. The images export the same on both. Could this be an issue because my use a D7000 Nikon? I remember reading there have been software issues related to its RAW data.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    Its not the D7000. Just did a test with a NEF from a D200 and the JPG is still junk.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    F1wannab wrote: »
    Its not the D7000. Just did a test with a NEF from a D200 and the JPG is still junk.
    As others have said, first run an experiment without using the upload-plug-in. Just use the Export dialog, carefully check every setting in the export dialog, take a screen shot of the dialog so we can see all the settings, export one image, then upload it. If the image is fine, then it's an issue with the plug-in. If the image is still bad, then post the screenshot and a link to the uploaded image and we can take a look at what you're doing.

I suspect this is a misunderstanding about one of the export settings.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 5, 2011
    I agree with John, I think this is occurring somewhere in the export preferences setup, or the plug in itself. Just export the jpg to a folder and then upload with the basic Smugmug uploader and see if this resolves the issue.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    What happens if you just export to your hard drive?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.