Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #76 (MOM or WOW) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited May 20, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #75

A reminder that this is the last round before the next Mega challenge!

Welcome to Round #76 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, May 2nd, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, May 16th, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: MOM or WOW
This one is for you MOM you are just so WOW - Thank you!
This challenge can be either about MOM or just about WOW you choose.
Happy Mothers Day to all Mothers! (May 8th)

There are no editing restrictions in this round

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some recent modifications

Comments

• Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Sean, can we do self-portraits? I think I'd like to try one with my girls for this round....I've never attempted one and it might be a real trick to pull off....seems like it'd be a good learning experience.....
    What would suffice as proof that it was a self-portrait, i.e. camera on a tripod, and not another person behind the camera?
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    Sean, can we do self-portraits? I think I'd like to try one with my girls for this round....I've never attempted one and it might be a real trick to pull off....seems like it'd be a good learning experience.....
    What would suffice as proof that it was a self-portrait, i.e. camera on a tripod, and not another person behind the camera?

Yes you certainly can do a self portrait. In this case, I do not see the need to prove it is a self portrait, we will take your word for it.

Sounds like a great way to learn something new clap.gif
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 6, 2011
    Self-Portraits for this round
    I had also been thinking about a self-portrait, but with a twist that I think would make it different from what Leah might do. (Hadn't even thought to ask about the need to prove that it was a self portrait, so I'm very glad that Leah asked about this.) I have the extra complication of having just broken my foot, so I'm not sure how I will manage any photography over the next few weeks, but we'll see. (Using a tripod, setting the timer, and racing back into the photo is no longer an option!)

On another front, I would like to post a question in general about vignettes and wonder what might be the best forum? The vignette in my kangaroo shot for the last round was much more blatant than I would have liked. (It was subtle in color but not BW.) Got me wondering about the use of vignettes, in general. (I tried reprocessing my image but ended up liking the appearance of the kangaroo's fur and grass much more in that shot and couldn't seem to recreate it.) Should I just raise this in the wildlife forum with that shot as an example or there a better place to take the general question about use of vignettes?

Thanks,
    Gretchen

P.S. If I am able to get the photo I have in mind, I will be sure to post it for C & C and input on whether it is indeed different from other entries.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Should I just raise this in the wildlife forum with that shot as an example or there a better place to take the general question about use of vignettes?

You could ask the question in wildlife since that is what your kangaroo is, but since your question is about a technique I feel it might be better suited in the Technique forum. You can choose to ask the question in any one of the forums you like of course.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Shooting a Self-portrait with a Broken Foot
    Quote from earlier message: "I had also been thinking about a self-portrait, but with a twist that I think would make it different from what Leah might do. (Hadn't even thought to ask about the need to prove that it was a self portrait, so I'm very glad that Leah asked about this.) I have the extra complication of having just broken my foot, so I'm not sure how I will manage any photography over the next few weeks, but we'll see. (Using a tripod, setting the timer, and racing back into the photo is no longer an option!)"

Last night, I experimented a bit with using the tripod and my inexpensive remote trigger (Zeikos ZE-WRC5) in my backyard and found that I have to be fairly close to the camera to use the trigger and can't angle the trigger up to the camera. I am assuming that I need to be one pressing the shutter button if I use the 10 second timer, right? One of my sons asked whether I could set up the shot - manual settings, focus, etc. - and then have him press the button when I am in position, but I figured that is not an option, right? (This wouldn't normally be an issue except that I broke my foot and am walking very slowly just now.)

Btw, if this was my son's photo shoot instead of mine, there might very well be an umbrella, softbox, snoot, or what have you.:D (I know some of the terms but not how to use them.) I'm still working on learning how to use my flash properly for fill flash/ambient lighting, etc. and have one reflector in my bag. In other words, I would only be using my equipment and the meager store of technical info that I have absorbed. I am hoping to make a first attempt early tonight if the weather holds.

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    This is how you take a self portrait
    http://vimeo.com/22111968
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011

That's fantastic!clap.gif
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    That's fantastic!clap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Ok, I'm in for now. Have a portrait session this weekend with a dancer mom that may override that shot, but we'll see.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011

That is hilarious - & ingenious!! :D I clicked on it thinking it might help me figure out how to get a good consistent focus on a self-portrait!! Somehow I think having a stand-in to focus on is a little easier (for me at least). But not nearly as fun! :)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    Well, mine is entered....a remote trigger and mirror would have been handy, but I'm not sure we would have has as much fun....there's something so timeless about family portraits with a timer......
    Thanks for the prompt feedback, Sean!
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011

-Am definitely sharing this link with other friends. Great post!
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Yes you certainly can do a self portrait. In this case, I do not see the need to prove it is a self portrait, we will take your word for it.

Sean, I have just entered a self-portrait with two of my sons. Should I have "self-portrait" in the title or in brackets after it or is that assumed for this challenge?

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    Sean, I have just entered a self-portrait with two of my sons. Should I have "self-portrait" in the title or in brackets after it or is that assumed for this challenge?

Thanks,
    Gretchen

It is not assumed. If you want to specify it as a SP then thats fine but it is not necessary. If it was, I would have said so in the challenge summary thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    It is not assumed. If you want to specify it as a SP then thats fine but it is not necessary. If it was, I would have said so in the challenge summary thumb.gif

Thanks for the quick response! I added it but may remove it later.

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Thanks for the quick response! I added it but may remove it later.

Gretchen

It does ground the photo by giving it context, so do keep that in mind :D
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Quick question, Sean...

Can you tell me if the editing I did on this image here (Memories) will be disqualified because of the "borders or frames" rule? The photograph "looks" like it has a picture frame around it, but it is just a series of drop shadows and other effects that I put on the image to make it look like it does. thanks!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    Quick question, Sean...

Can you tell me if the editing I did on this image here (Memories) will be disqualified because of the "borders or frames" rule? The photograph "looks" like it has a picture frame around it, but it is just a series of drop shadows and other effects that I put on the image to make it look like it does. thanks!

It is certainly a hard call, but after considering the spirit of why the rule exists. I would say that yes this image focuses on the frame too much. Since this is a card try a different approach without the manufactured frame.

Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    It is certainly a hard call, but after considering the spirit of why the rule exists. I would say that yes this image focuses on the frame too much. Since this is a card try a different approach without the manufactured frame.

Thanks for asking.

Ok .. My daughter likes the image! Laughing.gif I can print it out for her. :)

I'll have to try something else... not really sure if I can do anything better with that image.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    It does ground the photo by giving it context, so do keep that in mind :D

Good point! Thanks for your helpful input on this.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    How does smugmug compress the uploaded challenge photos? I don't like the compression artifacts in the photo I just uploaded. I don't remember seeing them on other challenge photos I've uploaded, it might be something about color/detail range in this particular image, maybe. When I look at the photo info, it gives the photo dimensions the same as the original, although the maximum viewing size is a downres'ed version. I tried downsizing my image myself to what I thought was the challenge size, and I find the jpeg artifacts much less annoying. Is there a standard size that we can convert them to before uploading so that smugmug doesn't need to do additional compression or resizing?

Thanks!
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    kolibri wrote: »
    How does smugmug compress the uploaded challenge photos?

I do not know the answers to all of your questions. you may get much more information if you post your questions in SmugMug Support

I do know that the XL size that the gallery is set to is 1024x768 so if you resize your image to 1024 wide and let the height be whatever works best for your image you should get the best results. If your image is a vertical shot then 768 pixels high is the best height.

We also have turned off any sharpening that the default galleries from SmugMug perform. So if you want the best results, is it a good idea to sharpen your image for web viewing.

I really hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    I do not know the answers to all of your questions. you may get much more information if you post your questions in SmugMug Support

I do know that the XL size that the gallery is set to is 1024x768 so if you resize your image to 1024 wide and let the height be whatever works best for your image you should get the best results. If your image is a vertical shot then 768 pixels high is the best height.

We also have turned off any sharpening that the default galleries from SmugMug perform. So if you want the best results, is it a good idea to sharpen your image for web viewing.

I really hope that helps.

Thanks, I tried resizing it myself, then uploaded that version, and the jpg artifacts are still there. I think it's smugmugs jpg quality 3/13 combined with the high frequency variation in this image compared to the other images I've submitted to the challenges. So, resizing it myself didn't help, but thanks anyway. Now I've made more work for you deleting my excess images. sorry.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    kolibri wrote: »
    Now I've made more work for you deleting my excess images. sorry.

I honestly do not see any artifacts but it IS your image so you would see things others would not. All the "please delete" ones are gone :D
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    I honestly do not see any artifacts but it IS your image so you would see things others would not. :D

Hah! yeah. They are there obscuring the blade tips of the yucca (they aren't called spanish daggers for nothing!) and the gullies in the mountains in the background. They are still sharp in the lower resolution version, but disappear/blur out in the 3/13 (or 30% in my program) jpg compressed version.

Just details. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2011
    You may have noticed that the new challenges have been posted a little over a hour early. The time that you can shoot for each of them is still the same though. So if you get inspired do not start shooting until 10 pm PST. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Sudden-Death Vote off NOW!
    Please break the tie

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=197804